IGNORED

Food plot ideas for swampy area?

Not the ideal location for a food plot, for obvious reasons..lol..But sometimes ya just gotta try and work with what ya got !! 

I've used Balansa Clover before with decent success in a particular low lying area, that was prone to being water logged for a good bit after heavy rains.  The biggest issue will be weed control, some folks are wary about using herbicides around wetland areas.  I would forgo spring planting and target a fall planting, as you'll up your odds on success battling the weeds

https://hayandforage.com/article-3686-balansa-clover-shines-in-wet-soils.html

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com

As others have said, you might be better off suited creating a browse plot using Red Oiser Dogwood cuttings....You can get the cuttings for free with a little leg work, and are ideally suited for areas like what you posted the pics of.  Biggest thing is protecting them from browse pressure for the 1st year....Usually by year two they've developed a pretty robust root system and can bounce back from being browsed by deer.

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com

Alsike clover also does well in wet. However you are going to have a flush of both the skunk cabbage and weeds. You will need herbicide for both. This is a situation of not being worth the battle in my opinion anyway unless you plan to really out the time into it. Even then it will be mjnimal gain for that sized area at best. Typically where skunk cabbage grows, you won’t be able to establish a plot. 

Edited by Livesintrees

52 minutes ago, Tier1 said:

As others have said, you might be better off suited creating a browse plot using Red Oiser Dogwood cuttings....You can get the cuttings for free with a little leg work, and are ideally suited for areas like what you posted the pics of.  Biggest thing is protecting them from browse pressure for the 1st year....Usually by year two they've developed a pretty robust root system and can bounce back from being browsed by deer.

Dogwood planting make the most sense for this spot….im not familiar w them…but em or find em in the woods…then cage em for protection for a year??  Any other browse ideas??  I always see arborvitae browsed down in yards. 

11 hours ago, Yobuck293 said:

That skunk cabbage will definitely block out anything else you want to grow. I have deer eat that skunk cabbage early season every year.  They seem to eat a lot of it. 

It's been so warm the cabbage spikes broke ground mid winter and the deer have been eating a lot of them where I hunt.