IGNORED

Fuel prices

Otter

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Diesel has been about $1 more than gas for about two years. It was always the reverse. It has a big impact on the cost of goods since almost everything eventually gets moved by a truck. 

Most of my company vehicles are diesel, as is my daily driver. Diesel has been ticking up as gas goes down. I live it first hand, every damn day. I would say it's been averaging $1.25 to 1.30 a gallon more here in NJ. I've been driving diesels since fuel was 20 cents cheaper than gasoline. I wonder what changed:catfight:

7 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Most of my company vehicles are diesel, as is my daily driver. Diesel has been ticking up as gas goes down. I live it first hand, every damn day. I would say it's been averaging $1.25 to 1.30 a gallon more here in NJ. I've been driving diesels since fuel was 20 cents cheaper than gasoline. I wonder what changed:catfight:

I've read its refinery capacity. Many closed during pandemic and there is very little in the way of new investments and modernization of existing ones. You can extract all the crude you want but if you can't refine it fast enough, it's for nothing. 

We have yet to feel the global impacts of the shipping issues in the Straight of Hormuz due to attacks on tankers there by the Houti rebels/terrorists. That will bump them up some soon, unfortunately. But with the US having a mild winter so far and demand for heating oil down, prices shouldn’t jump up much. 

33 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Diesel was 1 cent cheaper than gas when I got my truck in 98. Since 9-11-2001 and the gulf war it's been more, as much as $1.60 more when it was nearing $5 per gl under Obama.  It's been around $.60 more at the cheapest. Got to keep the fuel going to the armory, and the truckers passed the surcharge on to the consumer

I remember buying fuel at 83 cents a gallon for my 97. I don't think I ever paid over 5 in the Obama years....I had a 60 gallon tank on my 2011. 50 gallon tank on the current truck at $6.38 a gallon surpassed that. Bidenomics for the win!!

Ambulances run/ ran on diesel. With the new DEF systems its just another failure point for the truck to be out of service and a huge pain in the ass. Emergency vehicle should be exempt. The electric ambulance one city has is stuck in the garage cause its junk. And idk how they are planning on using an electric fire truck that needs to run and pump water for elongated periods of times. There are times when on a fire scene you need to call for a diesel fuel truck to refill the pumpers. An electric fire truck must have a diesel generator/pump of some sort. 

1 minute ago, electric10162 said:

I remember buying fuel at 83 cents a gallon for my 97. I don't think I ever paid over 5 in the Obama years....I had a 60 gallon tank on my 2011. 50 gallon tank on the current truck at $6.38 a gallon surpassed that. Bidenomics for the win!!

If you look at historical diesel prices, they never went over $5 a gallon during 2008-2016. It fluctuated greatly but never broke $5. It flirted with $4.87 for a very short period of time. 

Below $3 is only here for now and will tick up again. Other parts of the country it hasn’t come down. I was out in Waterport NY by the Oak Orchard River and everywhere around was still $3.89. Don’t know how these people do it when many local jobs are minimum wage and s simple trip to the grocery store is 20-30 miles🤷‍♂️

AWM

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

We have yet to feel the global impacts of the shipping issues in the Straight of Hormuz due to attacks on tankers there by the Houti rebels/terrorists. That will bump them up some soon, unfortunately. But with the US having a mild winter so far and demand for heating oil down, prices shouldn’t jump up much. 

The latest on shipping issues. 

Oil prices slip as Red Sea supply worries ease, U.S. inventories rise (msn.com)

I hope I'm way wrong, but ... I don't think we'll ever see pre-COVID fuel prices again.

Listening to the oil producers themselves ... they seem very happy with the way things are now. They increased production ever so slowly (cautiously) back to maximum levels, and are not eager to make big investments which will only serve to decrease prices. Every time Saudi Arabia forces OPEC to cut production to prop up prices, they are fine with it. As are all their investors. Algeria just bailed out of OPEC because they want to pump more oil ... hopefully that will be a trend. 

Gulf coast refineries sitting idle because they can't get their Venezuelan oil. Iran sanctions. Etc.   FUBAR

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Bab al-Mandab Strait