IGNORED

Hydrostatic Shock

nmc02

6 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

We can agree to disagree....I shoot barnes tmz spitfire in 290 grain w 120  of bh209.

I have has ONE deer take another step & all were pass through shots. I have found no other bullet that performs better and always pass through w large expansion 

Abd that's fine you have achieved desired results but are probably way over powered with your load you can probly get same results with 80 grains of bh with no exit and will have no wasted energy.

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Look at ballistic gel testing.  The expansion does damage.  I've probably killed 30 deer with my tc impact no exits no bone hits all drop on spot or in sight.

Most times the bullet is just under the hide on opposite side so uve went through all vitals the only thing the exit would do is give u possibly a better blood trail

i don’t believe it’s all shock yes there is still shock when it hits but you can’t be saying that’s what’s killing them maybe help in the tiny bit but if shock was that big of a factor you would see gut shot deer drop and not move

19 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

i don’t believe it’s all shock yes there is still shock when it hits but you can’t be saying that’s what’s killing them maybe help in the tiny bit but if shock was that big of a factor you would see gut shot deer drop and not move

It's the amount of energy and tissue damage put into the vitals quickly that puts them down. Shooting into guts is not vitals, basically its shooting into a wet bale of hay.

28 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

Shoot a pumpkin with a 22lr 36 grain hp clean hole in and out now shoot a pumpkin with a 22250 36 grain varmint grenade bullet and you will see what shock does.

A bullet clean through the lungs will kill a deer a bullet that effects the entire chest cavity through shock will kill a deer much faster

Edited by vdep217

and yet, a single 00 buckshot to the  lungs kills them too. 

Remember when shooting a muzzeloader meat shooting a 50 caliber round ball?  Or a maxiball?

This is why I bowhunt 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

A kill and a “drop in their tracks” kill are two different animals.  Bullets that create high hydrostatic shock displaces a water type substance and creates shock well outside its bullet path.  This is what is hitting an animal like a freight train immediately disrupting its nervous system along with vital tissue damage resulting in a dead deer before it hits the ground.  Yes a dead deer is a dead deer but i would prefer no tracking ever with a gun and an animal lay where i shot it.  My muzzy load includes 120gr 777 loose powder pushing a 300gr barnes expander bullet.  Ive had 100% of all animals (mostly deer)  ive shot from 25yards to 275 yards drop in their tracks dead before they hit the ground.  Over 50 animals now (including yesterdays 😊) layed where I shot them.  Use what you have confidence in but this is my understanding and experience 

19 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

A kill and a “drop in their tracks” kill are two different animals.  Bullets that create high hydrostatic shock displaces a water type substance and creates shock well outside its bullet path.  This is what is hitting an animal like a freight train immediately disrupting its nervous system along with vital tissue damage resulting in a dead deer before it hits the ground.  Yes a dead deer is a dead deer but i would prefer no tracking ever with a gun and an animal lay where i shot it.  My muzzy load includes 120gr 777 loose powder pushing a 300gr barnes expander bullet.  Ive had 100% of all animals (mostly deer)  ive shot from 25yards to 275 yards drop in their tracks dead before they hit the ground.  Over 50 animals now (including yesterdays 😊) layed where I shot them.  Use what you have confidence in but this is my understanding and experience 

Just curious, any exit holes on those 50 deer? 

Ohhh ok … now hydrostatic isn’t lethal!??? What is it with people nowadays?? arguing for the sake of arguing!

just use an FMJ if you truly belive a non expanding bullet is superior to one that mushrooms.

the moment I believe hydrostatic shock isn’t a killler is the same exact moment I start announcing my pronouns. 

6 minutes ago, 68Ioweu1 said:

Ohhh ok … now hydrostatic isn’t lethal!??? What is it with people nowadays?? arguing for the sake of arguing!

just use an FMJ if you truly belive a non expanding bullet is superior to one that mushrooms.

the moment I believe hydrostatic shock isn’t a killler is the same exact moment I start announcing my pronouns. 

The argument revolved around bullet penetration....Vdep stated that a bullet is best to stay in the animal instead of passing through. In my opinion, that is inaccurate ALWAYS. Best scenario is a complete pass through the vitals. 

5 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Without veing specific this is why I said alot of pistol bullets make great muzzleloader rounds such as the hornady 45 xtp 230 or 240 grain

That's what I will be using during 6 day for my first ever muzzy hunt. Hoping to see what they do first hand after bowhunting exclusively since 1991.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers: