IGNORED

Training Plans

not on the rug

Whats everyones training plans for 2017 looking like 

Same as it's been for the past 15 years, which is the key, do something that you will stick with.

My wife and I walk just about every day.  I split wood for several hours each week.  2-3 times a week I do 3 sets of spiderman pushups and 2-3 times a week I do some exercises with dumbbells.  It's relatively simple and I don't need to drive to the gym so I've been able to stick with it.      

Exercise my gluts by sitting at a desk about 10 hours a day on average, 5 days a week. Fingers get a massive workout by typing on a keyboard; I get to work them out the same time I work on the gluts - multitasking at its finest. Nutrition consists of almost daily pop tarts. I'm in fine shape.  :nerd:

Many, many moons ago I bought one of those home gym machines and put it in the basement. Used it for about a year or two. Now I use it to hang my upload coat and that room has all my hunting gear in it.  :lookaround:  I keep asking my daughters to clean out their playroom since they don't use it anymore so I can move my hunting gear in there and maybe then I'll get back to using the gym. I really do need to work out some just to get in some kind of shape. But I'm lazy, which is why I haven't really been pushing the kids to clean out the playroom :)

I'm recovering from some stuff that has kept me sidelined for just about a year now. Basically, all I can do is some walking, light cycling, some yoga and some super light weights.  

Sadlyn I'm miles away from where I was when I started this thread.  I'm hoping to heal in the coming year and get back to crushing the iron.  My weight room is collecting dust and it makes me sad

Getting back in shape is currently a high priority for me. Just about this time last year I found out I have an enlarged aorta. I was told that I can't lift more than 30lbs and no pushing or pulling heavy things. I've pretty much spent the last year learning to live with these restrictions. In the last year I have gained almost 15lbs. I am in the worst shape of my life.

Next month I meet with my cardiologist for my annual check up. I plan on putting the screws to him as much as I can. After many hours of doing research online I have come to find that I have the tightest restrictions for what is a minor enlargement of the aorta (3mm larger than what is considered normal). I'm not saying that I want to start power lifting but I hope to get a little back. Tough to argue with my cardiologist because he is the head of cardiology for Our Lady of Lourdes hospital.

No matter what I hear from the doctor I plan on starting to do yoga to help with flexibility and some core strength. I also plan on starting walking and working my way back to jogging.

All I have to say is that the saying " you have nothing without your health" is very true.

I plan on starting to do yoga...

All I have to say is that the saying " you have nothing without your health" is very true.

Doing yoga is probably the single best thing that anyone can do for themselves.  Strength, endurance, flexibility,  strengtheining of connective tissues, strengthening your mind-body connection, mental toughness, etc.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.

As for the health quote, all I can say is that is 100% true.  My world has been upside down for a year now and it has changed my life in ways that I can't even begin to describe

I lift and run to keep in shape.  I have always lifted weights and ran since high school and have always kept up with it.  At 54 I can't lift as heavy as I used to but can still manage 30+ pull ups and sets of 60 on pushups. I had been running 30-40 miles per week, but since my miniscus surgery I am more into biking and running hills on low impact surfaces. I always slack off during he hunting season, but that is good gives my body a rest.  Starting up again, have put on about 8 pounds over the holidays! lol

Edited by Nomad

its hard when you get out of shape I went from a guy 20 pounds over but very active able to do whatever i want with no issues to over 200 pounds over in a few short months  and to complicate matters the meds that were suppose to help me are causing my weight gain.. lol 

Edited by buckhound

Doing yoga is probably the single best thing that anyone can do for themselves.  Strength, endurance, flexibility,  strengtheining of connective tissues, strengthening your mind-body connection, mental toughness, etc.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.

As for the health quote, all I can say is that is 100% true.  My world has been upside down for a year now and it has changed my life in ways that I can't even begin to describe

Mmmmm....yoga.....

NSFW Video!

EDIT:  Available on Amazon as a DVD or via Prime streaming:  https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Yoga-Redwood-Forest-Yogini/dp/B00NYBK74Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484013727&sr=8-3&keywords=pure+nude+yoga

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I'm 52 and in the worse shape of my life, I really blew up in weight in the past 6 months since I started new heart medicines for heart failure and high blood pressure...I'm trying my best to get going, but Im just so damn weak and tired all the time, Im having a hard time getting going. I pump so much Prescription crap into myself trying to beat down the high cholesterol, it's really taken its toll on my muscles over the past 23 years. I'm trying, I'm trying. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill the other day and some dumbbell curls. It's a start! I'm really not sure if I

just became a lazy piece of crap as I've gotten older, or if it's the heart disease making me feel this way. I'm not done yet, I can tell you that.

Im having a hard time getting going. I pump so much Prescription crap into myself trying to beat down the high cholesterol,

Sadly there are now doctors that specialize in demedicating people to undo the damage that the pill pushers have caused.  Did your doctor suggest diet and exercise for your cholesterol or just write a prescription?  

I'm 52 and in the worse shape of my life, I really blew up in weight in the past 6 months since I started new heart medicines for heart failure and high blood pressure...I'm trying my best to get going, but Im just so damn weak and tired all the time, Im having a hard time getting going. I pump so much Prescription crap into myself trying to beat down the high cholesterol, it's really taken its toll on my muscles over the past 23 years. I'm trying, I'm trying. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill the other day and some dumbbell curls. It's a start! I'm really not sure if I

just became a lazy piece of crap as I've gotten older, or if it's the heart disease making me feel this way. I'm not done yet, I can tell you that.

yup same issue with Blood pressure meds they are terrible.. been dealing with it for two years .....

Edited by buckhound

I think you have to start, that is the biggest hurdle.  Next you have to keep going and do a little more than the day before.  If you never start you'll never make any progress.  Did you have a HA and is that why you are on heart meds?  I know it sounds strange but you are weak because you're not strong.  Also, how is your diet?  You prob had to make some changes because of the heart issue.  At 52 you are definitely not old.  There are people who have completely changed their lives with small steps and have gotten a new lease on life.