IGNORED

Training Plans

not on the rug

Wow! Fantastic topic for all. Plenty of super workouts on this thread. It's great to read how folks stay in shape.

I try to hit the iron 4 days a week. Nothing heavy at age 61. Usually full body workout 3 sets of 10/ super sets. I try to keep moving at a nice steady pace. I also do some elliptical/hiking/cruiser bike 2 to 3 times a week. With a new hip, I do not run. I really miss running or playing pickup basketball, but with age comes wisdom.

My eating habits are really simple, I eat everything in moderation. That being said, I still want to lose 12-15 lbs. Presently I am at 200. In February, I will reverse routine and do more cardio and less weight training and carbs. Summer is near!

Dorian Yates said it best "rubbing sandpaper on your palms to create calluses. If you rubbed your hands raw and bloody every day, they would never have the chance to heal up and form thicker skin. A callus is nothing but the body's way of handling the stress of repetitive friction, just as bigger and stronger muscles are its response to the stress of intense weight training. A muscle will only grow if that adaptation is given time to take place. How long that recovery process takes will depend on various factors, including whether or not an individual is using anabolic steroids (which will speed up the process)". Train that particular muscle every 6-7 days....I used to do this method when I had the time to do so, I would love to do this again but with having a 13 month old child, I can't swing the gym time like I used too. I'll think of something but I'll have to put to muscle groups into one day which I hate doing but I need to at this point...That'll start in February...Started my diet this week so i'll let that take effect for two weeks then start my Test Cycle and boom, back at it.

Right on.  

Interesting that you used Yates's analogy.  It reminded me of when I mentioned cholesterol the other day.  In a nutshell, cholesterol "clogs your arteries" because that is what it is supposed to do.  A daily life of stress, smoking, eating inflammatory foods, bad oils, chemicals, etc inflames your arteries.  Cholesterol comes along and patches and repairs the damage to the artery.  Voila.  It's a magical system that keeps our asses alive for a long time.  The problem is, most people are too stupid to stop inflaming their bodies.  They continue eating the wrong things, continue not exercising, continue smoking, continue eating bad oils and fats, etc and cholesterol (our friend) just keeps on doing it's job and patching up that damage.  Eventually you've damaged your arteries so badly (and cholesterol has fixed that damage so many times) that it has literally clogged up the artery.  And then you have a heart attack.  Highly preventable in most people (unless other genetic issues are at play) but this unhealthy lifestyle people chose to lead is the culprit, not poor little cholesterol. Cholesterol is your friend.  If it wasn't, then why does your body churn tons of it out every day to repair your damaged body.  Heck, our cell walls are made of cholesterol.  Without it, we couldn't even exist  

Edited by not on the rug

You cannot "cure" high cholesterol through diet.  I know this for a fact, so stop selling snake oil.

I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years, swam year-round and never had an ounce of fat on me.  I had high cholesterol all my life.  My father has it.  Both of his parents died of strokes, most likely due to high cholesterol.  It is hereditary and there is nothing diet-wise I can do to lower it.

I took my doctor's advice and am on medication to control my cholesterol.  The alternative would be to risk a heart attack, survive bypass surgery, and then be on it anyway for the rest of my life.

A lot of the information in this thread is laughable and patently wrong.  Listen to your doctor if you have a good one, they're the professionals.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

You cannot "cure" high cholesterol through diet.  I know this for a fact, so stop selling snake oil.

I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years, swam year-round and never had an ounce of fat on me.  I had high cholesterol all my life.  My father has it.  Both of his parents died of strokes, most likely due to high cholesterol.  It is hereditary and there is nothing diet-wise I can do to lower it.

I took my doctor's advice and am on medication to control my cholesterol.  The alternative would be to risk a heart attack, survive bypass surgery, and then be on it anyway for the rest of my life.

A lot of the information in this thread is laughable and patently wrong.  Listen to your doctor if you have a good one, they're the professionals.

Well...you're right and wrong.  You don't need to cure high cholesterol, because total cholesterol has very little correlation with incidence of heart disease.  And diet has little to do with total cholesterol numbers anyway.  You could eat nothing but salad and basically not change the total cholesterol numbers very much, as diet has roughly a 20% effect on total cholesterol numbers anyway.  But you can change HDL, LDL and triglyceride levels and ratios quite easily.  You can have a severe effect on LDL particle size and type (oxidized or not oxidized). 

You have high cholesterol because your liver produces it.  So did your father and his parents.  No argument there.   Therefore, avoiding inflammation will be your best friend

So, quite effectively you can reduce the amount of inflammation your body has, and therefore your cholesterol won't have to put so many patches on your arteries.  You can also do things like avoid sugar and excess carbs (which directly effect your triglyceride levels).  You can avoid rancid and trans fats.  You can cook with heat stable saturated fats. 

I've said nothing that is false whatsoever.  Since cholesterol (and subsequently heart disease and strokes are hereditary for you) I encourage you to read the Dr. Attia articles series and start digging deeper in to this stuff.

On a side note, my interest in this topic stems from my own hereditary heart disease issue and I've devoted the past 9 years to studying nutrition as a hobby.  I keep this subject close to my heart (lol)

HH, I just sent you an email too.  

Edited by not on the rug

Thanks for the encouragement, but as Haskell hunter mentioned, " you cannot cure high cholesterol through diet only" sure if you need to knock it down a few points diet alone will do that! My Dr. told me Im a cholesterol manufacturing machine, my total cholesterol was over 500 without meds, its hereditary my father, his father, my kids and so on and so forth, it does not skip a generation it's called familial hypercholesterolemia.... anyway, the meds have saved my life and destroyed me physically all at the same time. Ive always tried to find the happy medium between taking the least amount of this RX crap, and keeping the cholesterol under 200. I'm 52 now and have been dealing with this since I was 29 years old with 5 arteries 95% blocked, 11 angioplasties procedures and 18 stents later I'm still breathing and am still able to climb into a tree stand,Thank God! I'm on a maximum dose of Crestor and also on a new cholesterol lowering drug REPATHA that I shoot myself up with every 14 days...in the 6 months since beginning REPATHA therapy my total cholesterol has dropped down to 80 and my LDL is down to 30, these are crazy low numbers! It's very encouraging, there even saying that theres evidence that it actually reverses heart disease. Keeping my fingers crossed, Not looking forward to a 12th trIp back to the angioplasty/operating table anytime soon.. Ok, enough talk, I'm going for a brisk walk.

Thanks for the encouragement, but as Haskell hunter mentioned, " you cannot cure high cholesterol through diet only" sure if you need to knock it down a few points diet alone will do that! My Dr. told me Im a cholesterol manufacturing machine, my total cholesterol was over 500 without meds, its hereditary my father, his father, my kids and so on and so forth, it does not skip a generation it's called familial hypercholesterolemia.... anyway, the meds have saved my life and destroyed me physically all at the same time. Ive always tried to find the happy medium between taking the least amount of this RX crap, and keeping the cholesterol under 200. I'm 52 now and have been dealing with this since I was 29 years old with 5 arteries 95% blocked, 11 angioplasties procedures and 18 stents later I'm still breathing and am still able to climb into a tree stand,Thank God! I'm on a maximum dose of Crestor and also on a new cholesterol lowering drug REPATHA that I shoot myself up with every 14 days...in the 6 months since beginning REPATHA therapy my total cholesterol has dropped down to 80 and my LDL is down to 30, these are crazy low numbers! It's very encouraging, there even saying that theres evidence that it actually reverses heart disease. Keeping my fingers crossed, Not looking forward to a 12th trIp back to the angioplasty/operating table anytime soon.. Ok, enough talk, I'm going for a brisk walk.

PM sent

Just as a FYI, I'm not saying that people should ignore their doctors or listen to the advice of a stranger on the internet.  I'm simply saying to get out there and do the research for yourself (regardless of the topic) and then make an informed decision based on all of the knowledge you can gather. 

Eating real food and not eating junk food is usually a good start to moving in the right direction.  

if you look at some of what is in the foods we buy you would see some of the chemicals used are banned in most other countries, that should tell us all something, I have hamburger rolls from september sitting in my garage that are still soft and not moldy thats just not natural.when i was a kid I don't remember  bread and milk didn't last as long as today.. I will say that my cardiologist has said that the diet we have been told to follow for years is not as healthy as originally thought.

if you look at some of what is in the foods we buy you would see some of the chemicals used are banned in most other countries, that should tell us all something, I have hamburger rolls from september sitting in my garage that are still soft and not moldy thats just not natural.when i was a kid I don't remember  bread and milk didn't last as long as today.. I will say that my cardiologist has said that the diet we have been told to follow for years is not as healthy as originally thought.

That's right.  The cardiology world started tossing this stuff around a few years ago. I remember reading about and seeing video from a conference in Phoenix Arizona (I think ) where this shift in nutrition was the focus.  I believe there has been a trickle-down effect in to the mainstream, but it still isn't really common knowledge yet.  The "healthy" diet that has been pushed on society for years (low fat, fat is bad, carbs are good, etc) is utter bullshit.

Ancel Keys actually came forward at the end of his life and admitted that he cherrypicked the data for his 7 countries study, which formed the foundation of this so-called healthy eating that Americans were told to follow for the past 40 years.  If you're interested in any further reading, Denise Minger has some great dissections of the China Study and other hokey anti-fat nonsense on her website that kick T Colin Campbell and Ancel Keys in their agenda (and their nuts). www.deniseminger.com  Their lies and hokey research are the foundation of the food pyramid and all of that other crap that we're taught to believe is the healthy way to live.  

I did listen to one doctor when it came to cholesterol.  He told me to try having 1-2 drinks each day.  At the time I did not drink on a regular basis but since then I have had 2 drinks each day.  At the time, I was 40, my cholesterol was 220, now in my mid 50s it's 170.  In addition my ratio of HDL to LDL has improved significantly. 

I did listen to one doctor when it came to cholesterol.  He told me to try having 1-2 drinks each day.  At the time I did not drink on a regular basis but since then I have had 2 drinks each day.  At the time, I was 40, my cholesterol was 220, now in my mid 50s it's 170.  In addition my ratio of HDL to LDL has improved significantly. 

I know a lot of old Italians they don't exercise eat what some would call healthy  but one thing they do is drink wine mostly of the home made variety  :rofl:  everyday and they all tend to live long lives & they all seem to work in the garden well into there 80's......  

I know a lot of old Italians they don't exercise eat what some would call healthy  but one thing they do is drink wine mostly of the home made variety  :rofl:  everyday and they all tend to live long lives & they all seem to work in the garden well into there 80's......  

Oh yeah, the Mediterranean diet.   :up:  :up:    

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

That's right.  The cardiology world started tossing this stuff around a few years ago. I remember reading about and seeing video from a conference in Phoenix Arizona (I think ) where this shift in nutrition was the focus.  I believe there has been a trickle-down effect in to the mainstream, but it still isn't really common knowledge yet.  The "healthy" diet that has been pushed on society for years (low fat, fat is bad, carbs are good, etc) is utter bullshit.

Ancel Keys actually came forward at the end of his life and admitted that he cherrypicked the data for his 7 countries study, which formed the foundation of this so-called healthy eating that Americans were told to follow for the past 40 years.  If you're interested in any further reading, Denise Minger has some great dissections of the China Study and other hokey anti-fat nonsense on her website that kick T Colin Campbell and Ancel Keys in their agenda (and their nuts). www.deniseminger.com  Their lies and hokey research are the foundation of the food pyramid and all of that other crap that we're taught to believe is the healthy way to live.  

I don't talk about it much because most people still believe heavily in the pyramid , my big issue is me meds my Blood pressure meds tend to make me gain weight and i have a severe acid reflux issue that my insides are blood raw to the point that the DR is saying things could start to turn to cancer of course the meds for that are making my muscles weak so i have trouble getting around..  at one point my BP leveled out and after a trip to the ER with a  BP of 80/40 i was taking off the BP meds. the cardiologist suggested picking fattier cuts in the meat i eat. following that advice i started eating the chicken thighs fattier cuts of beef and pork  bacon or fresh sausage and eggs for breakfast drink water  green tea with honey (hot or cold)  nettle everyday and other herbal teas.I lost over thirty pounds in a month. then my BP went haywire again and back on the meds and of course I gained the 30 plus  back and then some ....and no I am not telling to go out and follow and diet just telling my experience..

I don't talk about it much because most people still believe heavily in the pyramid , my big issue is me meds my Blood pressure meds tend to make me gain weight and i have a severe acid reflux issue that my insides are blood raw to the point that the DR is saying things could start to turn to cancer of course the meds for that are making my muscles weak so i have trouble getting around..  at one point my BP leveled out and after a trip to the ER with a  BP of 80/40 i was taking off the BP meds. the cardiologist suggested picking fattier cuts in the meat i eat. following that advice i started eating the chicken thighs fattier cuts of beef and pork  bacon or fresh sausage and eggs for breakfast drink water  green tea with honey (hot or cold)  nettle everyday and other herbal teas.I lost over thirty pounds in a month. then my BP went haywire again and back on the meds and of course I gained the 30 plus  back and then some ....and no I am not telling to go out and follow and diet just telling my experience..

Do you ever have your sodium, potassium and magnesium levels tested? 

Personally I will only use plenty of high quality Pink Himalayan salt, and I salt very liberally.  I also supplement with a quality Chelated Magnesium. I don't need to supplement with potassium because I eat plenty of potatoes, sweet potatoes and bananas and have never really had electrolyte issues.  

I'd run all of that past your doctor, but it may be helpful. Especially the magnesium.  Magnesium is the single most important mineral in our bodies.  It supports all of our muscle and nerve functions and over 90% of Americans are deficient in it due to the produce we eat being grown in depleted soils.  Look in to it