IGNORED

Hunting Mountain Lions.. Need Weapon suggestions

Axiom

Well, For the past year or so I've had one type of hunting on my mind. Mountain Lions.. I gotta hunt them.. Was going to head out to Arizona last year,  but too many things got in the way.. Plus I realized I need to do some more research as the type of hunting i'm contemplating has a low success rate.. Stalk/still hunt.. No guides or dogs.. Just me against them.. One might think the odds are in the lions favor but, My back up plan is, after a year of pursuing them, if I haven't bagged one by then i'll hire a guide so,  The lions lost already.. 

But anyway, I plan on renting out a home in the wild somewhere for a year. Not exactly gonna live there, just show up there from time to time.. My job as a long haul freight distribution engineer makes doing that no problem at all..I've pretty much narrowed down the states I want to locate in to 3 .. Either Northern Arizona, Northern New Mexico or Wyoming..  There are a few other states with good lion populations but, for some reason I couldn't get past what some are best known for..  Like Idaho.. All I can think of is potatoes, Colorado.. I'm hunting not skiing.. Nevada.. I don't gamble much, It rains too much in Washington and Oregon and its too cold in Montana.. California?.. No lion hunting season but even if there was, The fact that Feinstein lives there kills that thought..

So here's the thing.. I need to get a weapon.. Something not only good for lions but something that would work for Elk, coyotes, bob cat, or whatever big game the state I choose has to offer.. I need range too.. I need a relatively flat trajectory out to about 4 0r 500 yards as I suspect  that will probably be the only shot I'll  get at some of those animals, especially the lion.. Was thinking 308 or 30-06.. But haven't ruled out something even larger.. Pretty much ruled out a 30/30, not enough range.. Again, a flat trajectory out to about 4 or 500 yards is paramount.. Glass?.. not sure

Any one have any suggestions?.. Opinions on states to hunt are welcome also..

:D

.308 and .30-06 won't fly flat out to 500.  I'd say 200 is the sweet spot for most.  You're going to have to adjust shooting past that.

10807d1327325294-308-vs-30-06-vs-300-bal

There's a pretty good chart for you to use.

I'm a .30-06 snob and would use that.  Got a Rem 700 XCR II that I am very happy with.  Thing is a tack driver and I use Rem Core Lokt 180-grain with it.  Seems to like those.

I got a .223/5.56 for yote as a .30-06 is way too powerful and non-NJ compliant.  Doesn't mean you can't blast one with a .30-06, but if you're too close you may risk a pass-through.

Here's my Rem 700 and scope thread.  Lots of good info there.  https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/4686-scope-recommendations-remington-700-xcr-ii-30-06/?hl=%2Bremington+%2B700+%2Bxcr

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Axiom...Your missing the point behind a lion hunt.  The true hunt is in the chase with dogs, the kill is secondary.  Many hunters choose a handgun, bow, traditional MZ or a pistol caliber lever action with open sights being the lion will be up in a tree with the dogs below.  You do need to be fairly quick as they will jump out after people arrive, then the chase will start again.  If it's only the dogs below the tree they will tend to wait them out.  

308 and .30-06 won't fly flat out to 500.  I'd say 200 is the sweet spot for most.  You're going to have to adjust shooting past that.

Yeah seems that way... Good chart.. Looks like all cals are gonna start dropping at about 200 yards.. was hoping to find a gun/round good out to 4 or 500.. After that too many other variables come into play and I don't have time to become an accomplished sniper.. Leaning towards a 30-06 or a 257 weatherby  suggested by beaverman.. read some good stuff on that gun.. The weight and feel of the weapon will prolly be another big factor.. I tend to buy what feels right when I hold it.. Not worried about a pass through on the smaller animals. Holes can be stitched up rather nicely..

still think'n.. :hmmmer:

Do yourself a favor and do some more research on lion hunting in general.

Spot-and-stalk on a lion just isn't happening(they don't stay still for very long), and unless you can still-hunt among cliffs and rock faces, that won't work either.

You basically have two choices. Dogs or bait; neither of which require a long range rifle.

You want a flat shooting rifle, the best choices are:

257 Weatherby

6.5-300 Weatherby

26 Nosler

300 Weatherby

30-378 Weatherby

7mm STW

28 Nosler

I'm partial to the 257 Wby.

Or, you could save some money and just get a 270Win.

BTW - I know a guy, who is a very good hunter, that killed 6 lions within 1/2 mile of his ranch house. He never saw a single one until he bought some dogs in to track them; and he's lived there for 30 years.

Edited by flat9999

Axiom...Your missing the point behind a lion hunt.  The true hunt is in the chase with dogs, the kill is secondary.  Many hunters choose a handgun, bow, traditional MZ or a pistol caliber lever action with open sights being the lion will be up in a tree with the dogs below.  You do need to be fairly quick as they will jump out after people arrive, then the chase will start again.  If it's only the dogs below the tree they will tend to wait them out.  

Yeah it sounds like a lot of fun with the dogs and all but that really aint my thing.. And besides, I have a list of other animals I'd like to take so, what ever I happen across in pursuit of my main target ( lion )  well get bagged.. Kinda a in the mean time thing.. I might be sitt'n on a ridge with my bino's scanning an opposite ridge or dried up river bed and spot a yote or bob cat.. BOOOM!!!.. i'll look for lions again tomorrow..

Questions to ask yourself.  Will I be hunting other game if the opportunity arises? If something happens to my ammo will it be available locally?  I would be looking at a tried & true action/rifle in a caliber that would be common.   308, 30-06, 7mm, 300 win.   

I can't argue a .257 bee....they are awesome.

Edited by Cousin Brown

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

Do yourself a favor and do some more research on lion hunting in general

I'm doing just that as we speak.. like I said I know the odds are against me.. Still / Stalk Is a hard way to hunt those creatures.. Few are successful.. I've heard or read they hold up in "cliff and rock faces" or some of the most ungodly terrain you can imagine.. That's why I want a gun with range.. I aint climbing no cliffs unless im retrieving a dead one.... May resort to bait.. Was thinking about a live goat tied to a bush down in a ravine in an area I've found big cat sign.. Just a thought..

You want a flat shooting rifle, the best choices are:

257 Weatherby

6.5-300 Weatherby

26 Nosler

300 Weatherby

30-378 Weatherby

7mm STW

28 Nosler

I'm partial to the 257 Wby.

Or, you could save some money and just get a 270Win.

Those are some good choices.. That weatherby is look'n better and better

BTW - I know a guy, who is a very good hunter, that killed 6 lions within 1/2 mile of his ranch house. He never saw a single one until he bought some dogs in to track them; and he's lived there for 30 years

Maybe he never tried.. I do know using dogs in all mountain lion range is the normal way of hunting them so I doubt many try without.. I know in parts of Virginia and NC the hunters will look at you funny if you tell them u deer hunt without dogs.. They know no other way..