Hunting Mountain Lions.. Need Weapon suggestions

Axiom

Axiom,

Let's see, in review

(1) You need a "weapon"

(2) for use on mountain lions 

(3) that will work on Elk,

(4) coyotes, bobcat and big game

So, we're at anything from a cat to the biggest mammals on the continent.

(5) that will work at medium-long range

(6) that shoots flat at 400-500ya

(7) gonna feed this rifle bootleg store ammo

(8) gonna carry a sidearm

(9) may have to cap a snake

(10) find the 243 does not have the range

(11) gonna call, in which case you may come face to face, literally

(12) iffy on the 7mm 08 due to the oomph factor

???

I can see why RdfHunter asked if you were serious as you're just all over the place.

On a serious nte, the elk deserve a big, fast round.  Any 30 cal should do.  However, when you start getting close to or in to the long distance game, the 338WM is what I use. My 338WM is as fast at 200ya as the 30-06 is at the muzzle.

For the mountain lion, I would use my 6xc.  But that would only be if I were ambushing them at distance.

For the up-close and personal stuff you may encounter, I would use an AR15 or AR10.  Will you be likely to encounter pack animals, like wolves? If you are out during lion mating season, which can happen any time of the year, forget the solitary animal routine.

A nice compromise in rifles is the 7mmRM.  Fast, good sized bullets, flat, and confidence out to 1000ya, no problem.

No matter what, there needs to be something semi-auto on me for the up-close, oh-ish moment.  A double stack 45 at the very least.  An 870 at most.  I was thinking about a Judge, but would not trust the 410's to stop a charging lion fast enough.

You also need to think about how heavy your rifle and gear are going to be.

Just one rifle and sidearm: 7mmRM and 1911 in45acp.

Then there's the glass...

Yeah i admit im all over the place on this one.. But i'm heading into the unknown.. Not exactly sure what ill need.. But really do want that 500 yard range.. Right now i'm think'n,  Since i'll be primarily hunting mountain lions all year round, and elk, bear, bob cat and other large game is only in season for a couple months ( assuming i even draw a tag if a tag is needed ), i may decide rather than buy one good for all rifle, i may just get 2 of'um.. A short action and a long action.. I'm assuming short action guns are somewhat lighter than the longs.. Thats a plus..

:D

Well, there are other game animals i plan on sniping while im at it.. even if its only jack rabbits at 500 yards...

I've never had more fun than shooting prairie dogs with a .30-06 and a 180g bullet.  There are plenty of them that ranchers will let you shoot for the heck of it.  And if you hit them just right, they explode like a 2-liter of soda.

I highly recommend popping prairie dogs.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I've never had more fun than shooting prairie dogs with a .30-06 and a 180g bullet.  There are plenty of them that ranchers will let you shoot for the heck of it.  And if you hit them just right, they explode like a 2-liter of soda.

I highly recommend popping prairie dogs.

An 80 grn bullet out of a .243 moving at close to 3000 FPS makes the red mist too

Yeah i admit im all over the place on this one.. But i'm heading into the unknown.. Not exactly sure what ill need.. But really do want that 500 yard range.. Right now i'm think'n,  Since i'll be primarily hunting mountain lions all year round, and elk, bear, bob cat and other large game is only in season for a couple months ( assuming i even draw a tag if a tag is needed ), i may decide rather than buy one good for all rifle, i may just get 2 of'um.. A short action and a long action.. I'm assuming short action guns are somewhat lighter than the longs.. Thats a plus..

If you don't mind, why don't we start with the hunting rifle calibers that you have?

If you are limiting yourself to 500ya and less, the 308, 270, 30-06 is more than enough.  Just get yourself to the range and practice as far as you can.  Also, stay off of the bench and practice like you are going to shoot.  Prone, kneeling, and some snap - oh-ish shots at 100 and 50ya with both eyes open.

I love my 700's but at today's prices, the Tikka T3 would be my choice.  

Have a look at the Howa 1500's on gun broker with Niko Stirling glass. Proabably the most bang for buck you'll get.  The Howa's precision shots and clean trigger are hard to beat for the price.

If you don't mind, why don't we start with the hunting rifle calibers that you have?

i dont mind at all.. below is a list of all my rifles both past and present...

--------------------------------------------- Nothing Follows-----------------------------------------

Never owned a rifle.. I've shot them but never owned or hunted with one.. ..

N yeah i wanna stay at or below 500 yards...  Preferably less than 250 where the bullets trajectory is still flat. But i wanna be able to reach out 500 max.. I'll be lucky to even spot a lion for even a few seconds and so i dont want to spend any time trying to sneak up on one thats 4 0r 500 yards away..  I may take a longer shot if i feel proficient enough to do so when or if the time comes but, eh, i kinda doubt ill be ready for that..

That was my point in an earlier post about a rancher that hasn't seen a lion on his property until he brought in some dogs

Your point was well taken..  I'm not going into this with the absolute expectation of bagging one unless i hire some hounds.. which i plann on doing after a year of see'n nothin..  But i want to give my favorite hunting methodes a try first... Its not always all about the kill.. An i also hope to bag a few other animals i've never hunted along the way..

i dont mind at all.. below is a list of all my rifles both past and present...

--------------------------------------------- Nothing Follows-----------------------------------------

Never owned a rifle..

No worries lad, you've come to the right place and welcome to 'Merica.

N yeah i wanna stay at or below 500 yards...  

Maybe a challenge for the shooter, but not a 308 or 30-06. 

Preferably less than 250 where the bullets trajectory is still flat. 

Bullet trajectories are never flat.  Again, you do not care.  Drop will be dialed out.  You will zero at 200ya and be set out to 600ya.

But i wanna be able to reach out 500 max.. 

If so, you should be reloading.

The 30-06, aka the 'Merican round, will have the best supply and availability.  Especially when you are out west.

Wanna spend some cash, but not crazy?  Sako Finnbear in 30-06 would be nice.  Around $1500

Under $1K = Tikka T3 $848

Most bang for buck, Howa 1500 + scope $547

Howa 1500 + Zeiss  for under $900.

Then there's glass... :-) Night time?  Low light?  Using spot light?  Illuminated reticle?

My suggestion

Rifle - Tikka T3.

Scope - Nightforce

Lamp - Lightforce 170

Next, you really need to think about the glass.  Expect to pay at least, more likely more than the cost of the rifle.

Then, you should check out an ap like Strelok or Applied Ballistics.

'Merica!

Just go with 22-250 not a animal on planet it won't kill,          

I'm sure a .22LR would kill any animal on the planet too if you hit them in the right spot..

These are the calibers I'm considering right now..

30-06

7mm

300 win mag

From what I can tell, ammo for all those calibers is readily available.. All are more than enough to take out a lion at 500 yards.. However, the lower end Calibers, 270 and 308 are questionable at that range for elk.. Ill need a bigger bullet to minimize in flight variables.. And with bigger bullets come less velocity, so by the time it gets to its target the bullet may not have enough energy left to expand properly, or something like that.. But, im not so sure i'll need to take 500 yard shots at elk.. I should be able to get a little closer... say 300 yards or less.. From what I've been read'n 270 and 308 will knock them dead at that range.. no question about it.. And I like no question about it.. You know what im say'n?

Still thinkin

At 500 yards, any of the above calibers are retaining enough energy to kill an elk.

Also keep in mind, that bullet expansion is a product of bullet construction and impact velocity, not retained energy.

That is the paradox of bullet construction and hunting bullets (expansion vs integrity at varying ranges).

Please don't buy into the idea of "readily available" calibers. That argument used to hold some credibility years ago, before the internet and overnight shipping.

Truth is, if you keep your rifle and ammo in the same case like I do, you would be more apt to lose your hunting tags, boots, car keys, etc.

And, you'd be hard pressed to find the same loading that you have you sighted-in/practiced with/have ballistics data for in any caliber at the "local store", unless you decide to hunt with 5.56 or 7.68 NATO ball ammo.

500yd shot is tough it's something that has to be practiced alot.if your going to be shooting anything over 300yds invest in a good scope and a good shooting rifle.personally I'd go after a caliber that shoots flat anf retains that energy needed at that distance.338lapau 300 win mag 308 Norma or 7mm mag.then your gonna have to work a load.good luck with this adventure