IGNORED

Hunting Mountain Lions.. Need Weapon suggestions

Axiom

Questions to ask yourself.  Will I be hunting other game if the opportunity arises? If something happens to my ammo will it be available locally?  I would be looking at a tried & true action/rifle in a caliber that would be common.   308, 30-06, 7mm, 300 win.   

I can't argue a .257 bee....they are awesome

Answer.. Yes.. That's why I need versatility.. And yeah I do like the idea of being able to stop by the local hardware store and pick up some ammo.. Not sure I can do that if i'm using a  weatherby..

:D

A vast majority of lions are taken on hound hunts out West, and the most popular weapons for this close range hunt are revolvers in .357, 41, 44 & 45 calibers as well as compact, fast handling carbines, in the aforementioned calibers, as well as the 30/30, 32 Win or other comparable mild 30's. Mountain lions are not particularly difficult to kill, but the shooting is almost always an up close & chaotic affair.

ML%2021%20dogs%20treeing%20lion.jpg

A vast majority of lions are taken on hound hunts out West, and the most popular weapons for this close range hunt are revolvers in .357, 41, 44 & 45 calibers as well as compact, fast handling carbines, in the aforementioned calibers, as well as the 30/30, 32 Win or other comparable mild 30's

Yes I know.. but I don't want to hunt with hounds.. I do plan on carrying a side arm though just in case I do inadvertently tree one or corner one and find myself up close and personal. Gonna buy a army issue M1911 colt 45 with a military style holster.. That should do it.. Should be good for rattle snakes too..

I know very little about firearms, so I can't help you there. 

However I do know that the deer and elk tags in Idaho allow you to shoot a lion. Lots more to Idaho than potatoes. Those tags let you shoot a bear as well. Very game rich environment, at least the public land we were on was. Elk, mule deer, bear, coyotes, wolves, lions, moose, sheep, etc. (not all tags are easy to get, but you can see those animals) We had a lion follow us up the one mountain and there is tons of terrain that looks very suited for them out there. I believe you can also get tags just for lions and use calls. If you don't want to use hounds, I would at least try calling. That would be scary stuff, but at least ups the odds a bit.

Try not to get eaten. Good luck. lol

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

However I do know that the deer and elk tags in Idaho allow you to shoot a lion. We also had a lion follow us up the one mountain and tons of terrain that looks very suited for them out there. I believe you can also get tags just for lions and use calls. If you don't want to use hounds, I would at least try calling. That would be scary stuff, but at least ups the odds a bit.

Yeah i'll prolly try calling a few times.. depends on the situation.. Havent chosen the type of call.. Thinking about using a domestic animal call like sheep or something rather than a rabbit.. Small animals may not be worth their time..

yeah not sure. depending on the area, I would think elk calf in distress or fawn distress. 

You could draw in anything though. Grizzly, black bear, wolves, yotes. Who knows. I assume you'd have snow if you did Idaho with a rifle for elk/lions so you could go until you cut tracks then follow till fresh and call.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

If you're willing to live in the wilderness for over a week and just follow tracks and camp bivy style, I think you could have a shot like that. Chances wouldn't be great, but it sounds like it might be a hell of an experience.  Hope you're in shape...