IGNORED

Calabria Pizza, Livingston

BHC

2 hours ago, BHC said:

...Yes its American pizza,  but what you showed isn't pizza. 

You want as close to old school pizza here in NJ then find a place with brick/wood fire oven ..pizza is simple..sauce,  mozzarella,  olive oil, basil, Pecorino Romano and takes a mere 90 seconds to cook..it's called margherita ....Razza's in Jersey City is excellent,  Liberty Hall in Lambertville was excellent until they got wiped out from a major flood,  Porta's in Asbury Park in real good, 

Actually he's not wrong.  What he posted is pizza in Italy.  If you want what we know as pizza in Italy you order a tomato pie.

14 hours ago, BHC said:

...Yes its American pizza,  but what you showed isn't pizza. 

You want as close to old school pizza here in NJ then find a place with brick/wood fire oven ..pizza is simple..sauce,  mozzarella,  olive oil, basil, Pecorino Romano and takes a mere 90 seconds to cook..it's called margherita ....Razza's in Jersey City is excellent,  Liberty Hall in Lambertville was excellent until they got wiped out from a major flood,  Porta's in Asbury Park in real good, 

Try a plain slice at Pompeii in Bayonne if you ever get a chance...I'm 44 yo and still haven't had a better slice anywhere. And if you make a trip out of it, get brick-oven pizza from Cafe Bello for dinner after that!

16 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I'm thoroughly confused as to what an authentic pizza in Italy is now after watching Italians argue over it.

What is the red stuff you mix with spaghetti called in Italy?  Sauce or Gravy?

My driver when we went from Naples to Sorrento said, "authentic pizza is only made with San Marzano tomatoes from a specific area of Naples". So, the idea of "real" pizza is a regional opinion. :up:

Edited by archer36

Ragu is a tomato sauce made with meat hence MEAT SAUCE  or some may call it bolognese , the main base is tomato sauce so here in America people just say meat sauce general term to make it simple I guess

12 minutes ago, BHC said:

Ragu is a tomato sauce made with meat hence MEAT SAUCE  or some may call it bolognese , the main base is tomato sauce so here in America people just say meat sauce general term to make it simple I guess

Ragu and meat sauce are totally different things. Ragu or "Sunday Sauce" as it is sometimes called, was not made with "chop meat" Bolognese, style. It is made with meatballs, sausage, cuts of pork, braciole, and the like. 

I never had Bolognese sauce while living home in 20 years of my life. We made Ragu every week. I don't know any Italian family that ate it either. 

So, what is Bolognese?
"Like all popular recipes, Bolognese evolved. As American soldiers returned from Italy after World War II and Italian immigrants came to the United States in waves, the dish took on a life of its own.

On this side of the Atlantic, Bolognese refers to a sauce made of ground beef and tomatoes. A similar version is also incredibly popular in Germany and other countries. In Italy, however, such a dish can be found primarily in tourist restaurants."

"A true Italian Bolognese today uses finely chopped flank steak rather than ground chuck, is not as tomato-heavy, features milk and beef broth and is simmered for hours to get a complex flavor. Dumping a jar of sauce into ground beef, it is not."

Read More: https://www.thedailymeal.com/cook/what-is-bolognese/#So,%20What%20Is%20Bolognese

Edited by archer36