IGNORED

Your favorite Turkey call/memory

Turkeyslayer

Blue double reed perfection mouth call.   

started using it in spring 1986.  Purchased at the rockland show from the company owner jim clay

shot a bird with it in spring 87

i sent jim a pic of my bird and attached a note how he sold me the call at the rockland show and gave me some tips

jim then sent me back a hand written note  another blue double call and a perfection baseball hat 

Other call I still use today is my dads orginal lynch box call he bought at wilderness in Dover back in 1981 while attending a turkey hunting seminar they were holding  in prep for nj ‘s first spring season

Just now, fab said:

started using it in spring 1986.  Purchased at the rockland show from the company owner jim clay

i sent jim a pic of my bird and attached a note how he sold me the call at the rockland show and gave me some tips

jim then sent me back a hand written note  another blue double call and a perfection baseball hat 

Other call I still use today is my dads orginal lynch box call he bought at wilderness in Dover back in 1981 while attending a turkey hunting seminar they were holding  in prep for nj ‘s first spring season

Wish I had a nickel for every hour I spent in Wilderness Archery .

time there was priceless for me , and many lifelong friends from there 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, fab said:

Awesome story. Back when a company still held faith behind products!

My favorite call, is my first high quality box call, made by Jody Harrison aka Preacherman. He makes em pretty and they can sing! 

3D6BA74F-6809-44E9-9C8F-2810B27318DD.jpeg.2d10908f3b4ead8fc57b3ad91c30a5cc.jpegD03441A2-33BE-4E0A-B9EE-E3F6075AD84C.jpeg.74b2da9761f6d43fdbd052a81a14783f.jpeg

As far as memory, there’s a few. Like the first time I ever heard a bird gobble back when I was 13 and my dad took me out knowing nothing. Up in Delaware Water Gap. 

However, fast forward years, my pops had already passed, and I picked up turkey hunting more seriously. Still trying to shoot my first bird. I work a night shift, leave work early to hit the woods. I’ve done a lot of scouting up to this point and knew the birds would be in this one clear cut. As I’m getting closer to my spot I realized I greatly miss timed my travel and getting out of work at the right time. The sun is starting to come up as I pull into my parking spot. I don’t have time to change so I throw my rain gear over my clothes (strictly because it was easy/fast camo, not because it was going to rain). I grab my gun and start running down the trail towards this field. Right before the clear cut, there’s a 90 degree elbow (make a left) to get to the clear cut. As I’m getting closer I hear a gobble that I assume is coming from the clear cut. I put on the brakes and come to a halt! I load my gun, and then hit my mouth call.  Instant gobble right back! Now I’m in the open and I’m like no! I have no where to hide, I’m looking around for a tree but there are none near by, just thick nasty brush. All of a sudden I hear another gobble, and it’s close! This bird is coming and coming in hot! I’m about 10 yards from the “corner” of the trail, and I decide I’m just going to stand on the trail. The brush to my left, the corner, is so thick, you can’t see through it. So my plan is to let him come down the trail right to me. Within a few seconds he gobbles again and he is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER! I quickly raise my gun, and I’m just waiting for him to break the corner. All of a sudden I see him running down the trail, around the corner. As soon as he breaks that corner he halts, stops, and it’s almost as if he had these huge 👀 and was like uh oh! He definitely had one of those oh **** moments lol. I put my bead right on him and squeezed the trigger. That bird instantly dropped. There was no flop, just stone dead (haven’t seen that since! Lol). I walked the ten steps up to him and was happy as could be. First bird, and it was a classic bird that wanted to die type of hunt. Sure it wasn’t traditional but a memory and story for sure! I’ll never forget it, and I’ve been hooked since. I’ve traveled further to turkey hunt then I have to deer hunt since then. 

Lynch foolproof  101 box call that I bought at the national trappers convention in Columbus Ohio , summer of 85 or 86.

It's been broken and fixed atleast 4 times.

This happened opening day last year, right after shooting a bird.

Two days later, the glue was dry and she called in another one that never went to roost that night.

I love the 'old girl...she's part of me

20220426_103203.jpg

My favorite turkey hunting  memory ....there are many, but the one that stands out the most is represented with this photo.

My father passed away on the last day of 6 day buck season. Although I still ran a small trapline that winter, I didn't hunt till the following spring Gobbler season. On opening morning I called in a bird and as I picked up the bird and threw it over my shoulder, I noticed the sun peeking over the horizon and it was right in line with the church steeple and my fathers grave.

I still get chills when I think of it

100_1126(1).JPG

I bought my Lynch " World Champion" Box in around 1994. I have had good success with that Box in both the Spring and the Fall.

A 2 Sided Mohagany Box with a Walnut Lid. I often work Old Hen Yelps on the Gobbler Side and move the Lynch over to my Left Side and hit more Yelps on the Hen Side.

Old Mike Lynch knew what he was doing.

I demonstrate  both Yelps on this Box in one of my Videos. Years back the " World Champion " fell out of my Daypack while,I was riding in on my Mountain Bike and the Back Wheel  ran over the Box.

Not a Crack! I go 225lbs. I know it landed just right- but still. 

Check out the pic below. Fall Success.

20230406_072418.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I called a turkey in from 300 yards away in a cut cornfield using a Cody Slate call.  At 20 yards I shot him and when I went to get him he had a metal band on his leg.  I called the number on the band and Fish and Game told me that this was a bird transplanted from south Jersey the year before.  Killed in Pohatcong Warren County.  My club lost that spot to another gun club.

One of my favorite related to a call was a bird during COVID. Had a friend make me a slate I shot a bird with that was one, if not the cagiest bird I've hunted. And on public nonetheless after a few days of us dancing.

Too many personal accounts of "favorite" birds otherwise. Many have honorable mentions in their own ways.

Got a few favorite turkey calls....1st one is the 1st call I ever got......god knows how many years ago (maybe 20-30 years ago?) but it was a Primos power slate.  Got t for $2 at the Harrisburg show, killed most of my birds with it.  I have a Bob White custom box call built for me ...Purple Heart w/ cedar lid.  My other go-tos are from Jimmy Schaefer's Oakridge game  calls, a slate in zebra wood and a trough call both perform incredible.  For Mouth calls....I always liked the Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

Too many favorite calls for me to pick one .

best hunt I was working a bird in front of me . Set up with one of the small 3 circle jake screen blinds as cover 

bird was in front of me hung up at forty yards . 
wanted him under 20 to put an arrow through him .

2 mature Tom’s came in silent behind me and gobbled at 6 steps . Toms walked past me one bird on each side close enough to grab them .

I drew as they strutted past me , shooting one at 8 yards as he approached my decoy .

‘second tom proceeded to beat the crap out of the flopping tom just a few feet away for ten minutes .

super adrenaline rush 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Not sure I understand the question but I'll relay a memory I had Turkey hunting with my Sons. About 25 years ago, I took my twin sons Turkey hunting. Back then (as far as I can remember) Youth hunters had a preference in the Turkey Permit Lottery. They got permits but I didn't. Well, trying to get two youg teens up early to go hunting was a challenge. We always got there late, setup and could hear Turkey gobbling while they napped. LOL.

I told them, I will take their younger brother hunting next year and HE WILL KILL A TURKEY. I was making a promise I couldn't keep since I had NO experience Turkey hunting. 

Fast forward to next year. I take my younger Son out and of course we get there later than needed. We see a flock of Turkey in a field being stalked by a Fox. We walked around a bit and couldn't get any gobbles. We settled down in a hedgerow between two fields to rest.  He asked "do you think we are getting a Turkey today?". I said we can only try. Well, he dozed off. I would give a call every 15  inutes or so from my Lynch Raspy Hen call. To my surprise, I heard a loud gobble to my left. I woke my Son up and told him to get ready. I called again and the Turkey was even closer but still out of view. The Tutkey eventually walked from left to right, about 20 yds in front of my Son. I was whispering "shoot". He was patient and knocked the Turkey down on the spot. 

Needless to say, I was thrilled but my Son was surprisingly reserved. I never killed a Turkey myself. I asked him why he wasn't more excited and he said "now I have to stop hunting". LOL

I couldn't wait to see the look on my Twin Sons faces when we brought the Turkey home! :laughing:

Edited by archer36