IGNORED

sous vide steak with onion-shroom-bacon topping

mazzgolf

Here's the result of my sous vide venison steaks tonight using my new rack-and-container I got.

You can see the benefits of sous vide right here.  Take a look at the color - pink throughout, and tender, too. Delicious. And these weren't even backstraps. They were the typically tougher meat from the rear legs (don't ask me for the technical cut name - I'm not a real butcher. :) It's all just meat to me. The cuts I know are limited to tenderloin, backstrap, shank, neck, front shoulder, rear leg :)) These steaks came from the little football thing or one of those roast muscle groups in the rear leg.

Now, these steaks were barely an inch thick, maybe a tad smaller (I probably should have cut them a bit bigger when I butchered - did I tell you I'm not a real butcher? ;)) . If I tried to grill or pan fry these, I would overcook them in a heartbeat and ruin them. I could never get this tenderness and color from edge to edge if I didn't cook them sous vide -- and they were in the sous vide water for 5 hours today! Even after 5 hours, came out just like I like it (not raw, but nicely pink).

Cooked at 132 degrees.

The topping is just a small amount of onions, mushrooms, bacon, and cream cheese mixed together. You can add as much or as little (or none of it) as you'd like.

image.jpeg.2afe0f3e06589d65463679c5e1bb20c4.jpeg

Edited by mazzgolf
to be clear, these were venison steaks, not beef

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

how long does it take to cook it? Never mind I just read it - 5hrs

And really you don't need to wait that long. 3 to 4 hours, depending on the thickness and desired temp. I just did 5 hours because I needed that extra time because I wasn't done work yet and not ready to eat :) I usually do 4 hours. Like I say, it's very hard to overcook; you have a lot of runway.

Edited by mazzgolf

17 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

I love my sous vide. Makes great mashed potatoes as well. Not fond of cooking fish in it though. 

Love sous vide cooking. Try cod or hadock fillets at 135 degrees for 30 minutes. Make a Mediterranean sauce with garlic, marinated roasted peppers, capers, calamata olives, sundried tomatoes, anchovies, Italian spices and lemon juice well blended. heat sauce just long enough to blend flavors then spoon on fish. Serve with rice of your choice and asparagus either grilled, roasted or with browned butter sprinkled with parmigiano ...........you will like it!!