IGNORED

There be 7 Dead Whales in NJ

This is not good….

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceancity/s/ijklk/7th-dead-whale-washes-up-on-the-jersey-shore-this-time-in-brigantine?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alert

7th Dead Whale Washes Up On The Jersey Shore, This Time In Brigantine

This is the seventh dead whale in the past 39 days. Conversation groups and officials are calling for an investigation into offshore wind.

Posted Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 11:05 am ET

The whale washed up last night on the North End beach of Brigantine, the Marine Mammal Stranding Center said. (Shutterstock)

BRIGANTINE, NJ — Another dead whale has washed up in the New York-New Jersey area, marking the seventh one in the past 39 days.

The whale washed up last night on the North End beach of Brigantine, the Marine Mammal Stranding Center said.

Plans are underway for a necropsy, the Center said, and staff will soon return to take measurements and samples.

"We are asking for patience as our small staff is entirely focused on performing our work in the most professional and scientific manner," they said.

As the number of dead whales washing up on the shore increases, local groups have been calling for a halt to offshore wind development for investigation into the deaths of these whales.

"The premature death of so many whales and other marine mammals is an untenable situation that we believe is most likely caused by the increase in vessel traffic and the 'sounding' or mapping of the ocean floor by several offshore wind project developers," said Suzanne Hornick, from Protect Our Coast NJ. Read more: 3 Dead Whales Wash Up On Jersey Shore In 1 Month

Groups like Protect Our Coast NJ and Clean Ocean Action are calling for federal action, asking President Joe Biden to investigate marine mammal deaths and the impact of offshore wind on them.

Gov. Phil Murphy recently addressed the deaths, calling them "tragic" and saying that officials would be investigating. Read more: Is Offshore Wind To Blame For NJ Whale Deaths? Officials Investigating

Congressman Jeff Van Drew said that he would be calling for a congressional investigation into the matter.

"I demand that all offshore wind activity be halted until it is properly determined what the effects of these activities are having on our marine life," Van Drew said in a statement.

However, Alison McLeod, policy director of the New Jersey League of Conservation Voters, called it "irresponsible" to blame offshore wind for the deaths before a full investigation could occur. 

Ship strikes and entanglements from abandoned fishing gear are an issue for marine life, she said. It was also noted by Murphy that a whale that recently washed up in Atlantic City showed signs of being struck by a vessel.

"As a former professional marine mammal observer with a background in marine science and biology, I am alarmed and deeply concerned with the recent whale strandings on our shores - as we all should be," McLeod said in a statement. "We need to base our decision making on science and data, not emotions or assumptions."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

8 hours ago, Batsto said:

"However, Alison McLeod, policy director of the New Jersey League of Conservation Voters, called it "irresponsible" to blame offshore wind for the deaths before a full investigation could occur. "

These people know that wind energy will result in an "acceptable number" of bird strikes, landfilled windmill blades, whale deaths, de-icing chemicals, ect.   Prioritizing the wind energy program will cause wind energy advocates to bury the truth.  It's a dirty industry and there is money to be made, same as in all "green energy" business.

image0000043.jpg

Edited by tick trawler

Many possibilities and I’m sure they all didn’t die from the same thing. And about the sonar I do know 100% that it for have an affect on ground fish I know it will run them out of an area I was told they don’t like the pinging now what if any affects on whales I’m not sure

2 hours ago, jumpthestring said:

I blame BIDEN . some how its his fault they are dying.  Remember how they TRUMP  for everything under the sun.

Murphy's fault he banned Shop Rite plastic bags, everything is choking on the heavy hard to pass "reusable bags"

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.