IGNORED

Colliers Mills Today

JD48

Had a couple hunting the same field about 100 yards behind me in the same direction, now if they put a bird up they would have peppered me for sure. WTF they saw us working the field but decided to come in behind us at close proximity. STUPID !

Saw one bird get shot at no less than 8 times and it flew about 150 yards before it fell out of the shooters sight. Found it and it was destroyed.

The  hunting etiquette and behavior on WMA is shit at best. Aholes acting like they own the fields. shooting early. Its a fing disaster.

DEP should  do random stoking days so its not a army of orange and everyone has a chance ,even those without dogs. Week day random day stocking thats my vote

This thread is interesting. Yesterday we were out by Tuckahoe and there were several dogless hunters in heavily covered spots looking for running birds being pushed by dogs. We were in some thick cover looking for woodcock and we’re surprised see guy in front of us. As we moved away from him they’re other guys doing the same thing. 

27 minutes ago, chessie said:

Had a couple hunting the same field about 100 yards behind me in the same direction, now if they put a bird up they would have peppered me for sure. WTF they saw us working the field but decided to come in behind us at close proximity. STUPID !

Saw one bird get shot at no less than 8 times and it flew about 150 yards before it fell out of the shooters sight. Found it and it was destroyed.

The  hunting etiquette and behavior on WMA is shit at best. Aholes acting like they own the fields. shooting early. Its a fing disaster.

DEP should  do random stoking days so its not a army of orange and everyone has a chance ,even those without dogs. Week day random day stocking thats my vote

Been hunting 60 plus years, seen it all on W.M.A., shooting birds out of trees, trying to run birds over with vehicle, early shooting, guys running down the road chasing bird, people hunting with safety off, grab someone's bird they didn't shoot, saw a guy shoot a bird under some one's car, think he fxcked the muffler up, people shooting in direction of others and the list goes on, amazes me more people or dogs don't get injured

2 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Been hunting 60 plus years, seen it all on W.M.A., shooting birds out of trees, trying to run birds over with vehicle, early shooting, guys running down the road chasing bird, people hunting with safety off, grab someone's bird they didn't shoot, saw a guy shoot a bird under some one's car, think he fxcked the muffler up, people shooting in direction of others and the list goes on, amazes me more people or dogs don't get injured

Shooting under a car is the winner out of that bunch.....

5 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

It is unsafe the way it is currently managed.  They have to either end stocking or switch to a reservation system, possibly similar to county golf tee time system

Funny you should mention reservation system , I hunted birds years ago out on Long Island with family Grumman , RockyPoint and Whiskey Road  and I remember having to get up really early to get to check station to get parking tags . If you arrived early you had your choice of fields and as the morning went on you were left the less desirable areas , first come first serve . If memory serves me there was a certain time when you can visit other location but each field only had a certain amount of parking limiting the hunters . So,  not such a bad recommendation.  The more these situations happen the less opportunities we’ll all have .

I honestly think random stocking days will curb some of the over crowding and gang mentality. some of these assholes act like other hunters are the enemy and want to shoot their birds or take the spot they want to hunt. With random stocking there will be less orange army syndrome.

Folks who dont have dogs will have a better chance of putting up birds. I feel sorry for the guys i see with their young sons or grandsons having to witness the amount of stupidity and dangerous situations that may turn a young kid off to hunting . People getting shot by jerkoffs who should never have been allowed to hunt or handle firearms to begin with. If there was a decent club that stocked birds i would join in a heartbeat , never to go on public lands again. I dont deer hunt, just birds.

45 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

Funny you should mention reservation system , I hunted birds years ago out on Long Island with family Grumman , RockyPoint and Whiskey Road  and I remember having to get up really early to get to check station to get parking tags . If you arrived early you had your choice of fields and as the morning went on you were left the less desirable areas , first come first serve . If memory serves me there was a certain time when you can visit other location but each field only had a certain amount of parking limiting the hunters . So,  not such a bad recommendation.  The more these situations happen the less opportunities we’ll all have .

They tried that years ago at Colliers Mills (1970's maybe?) let x number of cars/trucks in, each hunter given an arm band and placard to put on windshield, as people left more would be let in, people would start lining up 3:00am in the morning, I think they only did it for stocking days, didn't last too long, maybe 2 years

Must be up north,

peaslee wma guys are courteous move along when they see others in an area and move at the same pace when working fields next to each other.

our pheasant spots are a little different, guys are there hour and half before sunrise with camping chairs sitting at fields claiming them.  It’s something else but never any problems and we go in after we see guys without dogs or guys with fat house dogs that walk right in front of their owner.

from what I’ve seen down here safety has been better and hunters have more respect for each other then years ago.

1 hour ago, chessie said:

I honestly think random stocking days will curb some of the over crowding and gang mentality. some of these assholes act like other hunters are the enemy and want to shoot their birds or take the spot they want to hunt. With random stocking there will be less orange army syndrome.

Folks who dont have dogs will have a better chance of putting up birds. I feel sorry for the guys i see with their young sons or grandsons having to witness the amount of stupidity and dangerous situations that may turn a young kid off to hunting . People getting shot by jerkoffs who should never have been allowed to hunt or handle firearms to begin with. If there was a decent club that stocked birds i would join in a heartbeat , never to go on public lands again. I dont deer hunt, just birds.

Different stocking ideas/schedules have been kicked around for years, yet nothing changes, you would still have to stock on Saturdays (only day some can get out) some say do a morning and afternoon stocking (don't know how that would work) others say put less birds out, but stock every day, no easy answer that will please everyone, people question now if their putting out the right amount of birds, random stocking would probably add to more distrust