IGNORED

Colliers Mills Today

JD48

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

And how are they really going to ever know?  If you are getting shots you think they are putting out the right amount. If you are not than you are bitching they are not stocking what they say. That opinion usually comes down to one's success or lack there of. 

One's success has nothing to do with it, if the place is crowded and shooting is over in 15 mins., they probably stocked light, if it goes on for an hour, they probably stocked heavy, if you didn't get anything you may have been in the wrong area/field

27 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I know colliers mills they do spread them out issue is guys walk the roads and you got guys going all directions.  Seen tickets written for guys in fields early

Never understood why they let people line up on roads inside the perimeter, like you said, start times people walking every direction

2 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Never understood why they let people line up on roads inside the perimeter, like you said, start times people walking every direction

I agree . How could they possibly enforce a rule where you cannot line up inside the perimeter. There would be a mad rush at sunrise,aholes tripping over each other to get to the fields, fights breaking out like wildfire . There is no easy answer , but i still think randoms stocking would help. Saturdays would remain but during the week make it random.

21 minutes ago, chessie said:

I agree . How could they possibly enforce a rule where you cannot line up inside the perimeter. There would be a mad rush at sunrise,aholes tripping over each other to get to the fields, fights breaking out like wildfire . There is no easy answer , but i still think randoms stocking would help. Saturdays would remain but during the week make it random.

It's been like that forever; I don't see how random stockings during the week would be of any help, when Saturdays and Thanksgiving is your best chance of getting shot, during the week an hour or 2 and most guys leave and non-stocking days you pretty much have the place to yourself, be nice if they could come up with a plan to make the hunt enjoyable for everyone, if such a plan exists

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

One's success has nothing to do with it, if the place is crowded and shooting is over in 15 mins., they probably stocked light, if it goes on for an hour, they probably stocked heavy, if you didn't get anything you may have been in the wrong area/field

When I did pheasant hunt it seemed like when you talked to someone who had a bird or two they were pretty happy and usually commented on they did a good job stocking. Then talk to those with no bird and the complaints of they did not stock as many as they claim start, they stock more in a certain area and only those privileged to know where they put extra birds, etc. So the mistrust/bitching has been going on for decades and will continue for decades more. So again, who cares as long as any plan is based off safety. And 40 bucks you mention may buy you a couple birds at a game farm to go stock yourself. That 40 bucks is a steal and people just do not realize it. You are going hunting and like any animal in the wild they do not always cooperate. 

15 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

When I did pheasant hunt it seemed like when you talked to someone who had a bird or two they were pretty happy and usually commented on they did a good job stocking. Then talk to those with no bird and the complaints of they did not stock as many as they claim start, they stock more in a certain area and only those privileged to know where they put extra birds, etc. So the mistrust/bitching has been going on for decades and will continue for decades more. So again, who cares as long as any plan is based off safety. And 40 bucks you mention may buy you a couple birds at a game farm to go stock yourself. That 40 bucks is a steal and people just do not realize it. You are going hunting and like any animal in the wild they do not always cooperate. 

Never complained about the $40.00, it's the price you pay to play, don't know how far you go back, but there seemed to be just as many birds stocked when there was no stamp, then the $5.00 stamp was going to be the cure all for more birds, in fact when there was no stamp, they would stock birds on any open land, used to hunt behind the old drive in movie, rt 34 wall twp. and Rt 33 behind a bar, both open land both stocked. as far as a safety plan, don't really know what else the state can do, except pound into hunters' heads, know your target and beyond, respect other hunters, don't be a jerk-off dummy while hunting.

21 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Never complained about the $40.00, it's the price you pay to play, don't know how far you go back, but there seemed to be just as many birds stocked when there was no stamp, then the $5.00 stamp was going to be the cure all for more birds, in fact when there was no stamp, they would stock birds on any open land, used to hunt behind the old drive in movie, rt 34 wall twp. and Rt 33 behind a bar, both open land both stocked. as far as a safety plan, don't really know what else the state can do, except pound into hunters' heads, know your target and beyond, respect other hunters, don't be a jerk-off dummy while hunting.

My Club pays an average of $16 a cock bird. A $40 stamp is a bargain. But you have to put up with the BS unless you hunt the off times. 

Edited by archer36

5 minutes ago, JD48 said:

I think there is a lot of things that may work. As someone mentioned stock birds twice a day. With that choose a pheasant stamp for morning or afternoons. That would cut the crowd in half for each stocking day. The random days would also work that someone mentioned. I just know having people shot every year at the mill calls for it to be addressed. Just driving by the fields you see how bad it is with people not practicing safety. 

I had someone shooting at a running bird (they had a bird dog also) that was running towards the road and I was driving down the road and had to stop. I do not know what stopped me from getting out of the truck. I think it was the shock of what I just watched/experienced. I had another guy shooting across the road at a hen a couple weeks ago. It is just pathetic but unfortunately the jerk-offs you mention are beginning to become larger in numbers. 

And it is a shame because there are some great bird dogs trained by some dedicated owners. But may have one of those jerk-offs hunting next to him. I love watching guys/women out there training their dogs before bird season kicks in. 

1 minute ago, deadonshot2 said:

I think there is a lot of things that may work. As someone mentioned stock birds twice a day. With that choose a pheasant stamp for morning or afternoons. That would cut the crowd in half for each stocking day. The random days would also work that someone mentioned. I just know having people shot every year at the mill calls for it to be addressed. Just driving by the fields you see how bad it is with people not practicing safety. 

I had someone shooting at a running bird (they had a bird dog also) that was running towards the road and I was driving down the road and had to stop. I do not know what stopped me from getting out of the truck. I think it was the shock of what I just watched/experienced. I had another guy shooting across the road at a hen a couple weeks ago. It is just pathetic but unfortunately the jerk-offs you mention are beginning to become larger in numbers. 

And it is a shame because there are some great bird dogs trained by some dedicated owners. But may have one of those jerk-offs hunting next to him. I love watching guys/women out there training their dogs before bird season kicks in. 

When we had to reduce our semi-wild area, we solved our crowding problem by having AM/PM teams. 8 -12 and 1-5. It was a win/win. Some guys like to sleep. 

But for the State, it would add a considerable amount of additional time and labor. 

16 minutes ago, archer36 said:

When we had to reduce our semi-wild area, we solved our crowding problem by having AM/PM teams. 8 -12 and 1-5. It was a win/win. Some guys like to sleep. 

But for the State, it would add a considerable amount of additional time and labor. 

I agree but maybe cutting it to two stocking days instead of three may make up for it. I would rather have two safe enjoyable days than three free for all days. 

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

I agree but maybe cutting it to two stocking days instead of three may make up for it. I would rather have two safe enjoyable days than three free for all days. 

3 days once is 3 trips. 2 days times 2 is 4 trips. 

Also you would have to get all hunters out of the fields when the afternoon stocking takes place. Lots of luck. 

3 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

Knowing the state, they would probably let you buy a morning and afternoon stamp (all about the money) you bring up some good points about the near accidents we don't hear of, most of the bad behavior I've seen was from middle aged guys who should know better, did run across a young kid years ago (18-20 years old) stop to talk, noticed he had his safety off, said he didn't want to waste time in case a bird got up, had a talk with him about safety, hope he learned something

6 hours ago, JD48 said:

Knowing the state, they would probably let you buy a morning and afternoon stamp (all about the money) you bring up some good points about the near accidents we don't hear of, most of the bad behavior I've seen was from middle aged guys who should know better, did run across a young kid years ago (18-20 years old) stop to talk, noticed he had his safety off, said he didn't want to waste time in case a bird got up, had a talk with him about safety, hope he learned something

Simple stop that won't allow you to purchase both am and om is drop down box. When you click to purchase stamp you choose one or the other. Once you purchase stamp it is now shaded just like when you buy a license and does not allow to purchase another stamp. Simple fix. We see on the site how over crowded the wma are. So split day in half and you only have 50% of the people as usually does at one time. And if you really wanted to split hairs make a wma a separate pheasant zone and limit permits to an amount like Turkeys. So things can be done.