IGNORED

Lantern flies galore!

DBuck

Pequest area is absolutely covered in them. There are many areas that are covered in them also I just happen to live right here and see them all over the play. Now it is on that one particular tree, but that tree is everywhere around here. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

That’s a weed that grew I forget the name ….. 

seems like they are attracted to that species a bit more 

just removed 4 of those trees behind a Sunoco everything around seems wet … 

after observing for a bit I noticed what looked like rain drops actually was urine from the bugs I never seen anything like it …

They were all dripping 

they were everywhere 

C35008E2-57D9-4E1A-9161-4B9DD2279AEF.png

Edited by Monster Marine

51 minutes ago, Ron said:

Pequest area is absolutely covered in them. There are many areas that are covered in them also I just happen to live right here and see them all over the play. Now it is on that one particular tree, but that tree is everywhere around here. 

Chinese ailanthus trees are the native species for the spotted lantern flies. That’s the tree in Dbuck’s post as well. Find an ailanthus and you will find it covered with lantern flies. 

15 minutes ago, ModernOutdoorsMan said:

To be honest I’ve seen significantly less around where I am, somerset/union/morris area. Night and day difference compared to last year

So it turns out what we are learning about this still new(ish) infestation is that in places where they appear for the first time, their numbers are very dense. But where they show in year 2 or 3, not nearly as bad. The fear was they would do mass destruction, but the jury is still out. So far, the trend of them being EVERYWHERE in year one and much fewer in subsequent years gives some hope. 

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

So it turns out what we are learning about this still new(ish) infestation is that in places where they appear for the first time, their numbers are very dense. But where they show in year 2 or 3, not nearly as bad. The fear was they would do mass destruction, but the jury is still out. So far, the trend of them being EVERYWHERE in year one and much fewer in subsequent years gives some hope. 

Bingo, that’s been my observation. Time will tell