IGNORED

Please sign the UBNJ petition against Bill A3732

Farmingdales Finest

On 6/14/2022 at 2:33 PM, Nomad said:

This bill is in response to the dog Tonka that was killed.  You wrote Ms. Tonka a nice letter apologizing for all hunters, I wonder if she is spearheading this or how she feels about it? 

Below is the last paragraph of the bill:

This bill, named “Restoring Safety Buffer Law,” is in response to the tragic death of Tonka, beloved pet of a family living in  Hunterdon County. Tonka, an Alaskan shepherd, was mistakenly shot with an arrow by a deer hunter. Tonka’s family was unaware that hunting was occurring on the adjacent property and, therefore, was unable to take extra precautions to protect him from harm. This bill seeks to prevent this type of tragedy from occurring again  by prohibiting hunting with a bow and arrow within 450 feet of an occupied building or a school playground, and requiring that a  private property owner provide written notice and obtain a written confirmation of its receipt from neighboring property owners and occupants at least 24 hours prior to the occurrence of any hunting  activity on the private property from the neighboring property  owners. The private property owner is required to notify all  property owners and occupants sharing a boundary with the  property on which the hunting will occur.

I thought the current law already prohibits bow hunting within 450 feet of a playground.  If I'm right, I think they intentionally put that in to beef up support for the bill since most people probably support that.

Per bill A3732

2.   (New section)  a.  A person who hunts, takes, or kills wildlife, or permits hunting, taking, or killing of wildlife on private property owned by the person shall provide written notice to, and obtain written confirmation of its receipt from, both the owner and occupant of each property sharing a boundary with the property on which the hunting, taking, or killing of wildlife will occur, at least 24 hours in advance, that hunting, taking, or killing of wildlife will occur on the property, including the date, time, and duration thereof.

b.   A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be subject to a civil penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $300 for the first offense, and not less than $300 nor more than $1,500 and permanent revocation of all license certificates required, and all privileges, to take or possess wildlife for each subsequent offense.

Notice how the proposed law has no requirement that an adjacent property owner/occupant must confirm the receipt of notification  that hunting will occur or set a time limit for how long they have to provide a written confirmation of receipt.

Way it is written penalties will only apply to hunter failing to make written notice, it has no provisions or relief for when the adjacent property owner fails to confirm receipt in writing.

What's to prevent an anti-hunter, or even just an unfriendly neighbor, from sitting on providing written confirmation of receipt???

IMO this bill is nothing but an attempt to severely limit hunting under the guise of safety...

I’m out of the loop on this but is only UBNJ on this? Or are other groups? 

Pretty much only UBNJ because it directly goes after Bowhunters. The 450 foot rule never went away for firearm. It’s very short sighted of other organizations to not support each other because the goal is just like gun control take away our rights with small steady bites and eventually it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

Hmm...I wonder if adding the words "Private Hunting Zone from 1 Jan - 31 Dec" to the No Trespassing signs bordering my property would suffice?
I mean technically it's written notification and visible to all adjoining properties.
The tricky part might be the written confirmation of receipt.

Nope because the neighbors are supposed to sign off on it.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

When does this get voted on? 

It’s just a bill now that if passed has national importance. So far it hasn’t moved forward and we need to make sure it stays that way.

• 2 weeks later...

The Federations paid lobbyist has been on this bill the minute it was introduced. Great work UBNJ on getting the word out with this petition!

Fighting the good fight…

On 6/20/2022 at 11:14 AM, Farmingdales Finest said:

Pretty much only UBNJ because it directly goes after Bowhunters. The 450 foot rule never went away for firearm. It’s very short sighted of other organizations to not support each other because the goal is just like gun control take away our rights with small steady bites and eventually it’s too late.

Opportunity expands in proportion to one's courage.