IGNORED

Stocked Trout Movement

Nomad

Thought this was interesting, never had seen a study like this before.

Appears that most trout don't stick around to long where they are stocked.  Things like good water depth, structure, temperature, help to make some stay.

Rainbows stay at their stocking location the shortest time.  3 days and then may head many miles downstream.  One was found 126 miles away.

Browns stay for about 7 days.

Brooks stay for about 10 days.

trout_movement.pdf

Ross Shramko, Principal Fisheries Biologist for the Division did a similar study on rainbows in the Flatbrook and found the same results. Most are caught by anglers and predators fairly quickly. Very, very few stocked trout survive a year or longer without being fed at least sometimes and without good, deep pool habitat. 

Was told that stocked rainbows ran downstream. Held true on the Pequest. Back in the day, when it was the weeks when they were stocked, I started 50-60 yards downstream from the bridge.  Brooks seemed to stay put in the bridge pool or under the bridge with browns spread out just up and downstream. That held true for the three places I fished.

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Ross Shramko, Principal Fisheries Biologist for the Division did a similar study on rainbows in the Flatbrook and found the same results. Most are caught by anglers and predators fairly quickly. Very, very few stocked trout survive a year or longer without being fed at least sometimes and without good, deep pool habitat. 

That is study I was referring to.