IGNORED

Salt water license

vdep217

I know it's been discussed but thought I'd share what I'm currently seeing in florida and what the money we in New Jersey that the state is missing out on from the feds.

Passed several boat ramps doing thing with the kids today and every  ramp is absolutely beautiful and well maintained.  The majority of them are free the most expensive I've seen was 8 dollars.  In nj some ramps are 25 or more and are crap

8 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I know it's been discussed but thought I'd share what I'm currently seeing in florida and what the money we in New Jersey that the state is missing out on from the feds.

Passed several boat ramps doing thing with the kids today and every  ramp is absolutely beautiful and well maintained.  The majority of them are free the most expensive I've seen was 8 dollars.  In nj some ramps are 25 or more and are crap

It was NJ sportsmen that defeated any paid license in favor of the free registry.....

Just now, nmc02 said:

I never even bothered to look...........is their a NJ mandatory license or saltwater registry???

Registry but it dosnt count tword nj being eligible for the federal funds.

17 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

It was NJ sportsmen that defeated any paid license in favor of the free registry.....

We are our own worst enemy

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Registry but it dosnt count tword nj being eligible for the federal funds.

We are our own worst enemy

Yes we are!  We fight a $10 saltwater license while the commercial fishermen spend tens of thousands each year on lobbyists.  Which group does better by paying?  That answer is more than a little obvious.  The same angler that balked at the saltwater license spent that much at a quick stop at the local WaWa or Quick Check on coffee and a Taylor ham, egg and cheese, let alone the $350 of gas he puts in his boat.....but I digress.    

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Salt water license

That would be predicated on the assumption the money that would be collected by those salt-water registry fees would actually go to ramp construction and maintenance as opposed to some general fund to then get diverted and spent on unrelated things (I can only imagine the drool coming out of a NJ Politician when they realize they have a new stream of money coming in. I envision a minimum of 50% of the collected fees going to "administrative costs"). This is NJ where people spend 10k+ on property taxes while scratching their heads wondering where that money goes and exact what they are getting for it. I have no confidence whatsoever that any new license fees charged to anglers would be spent wisely by the state of NJ.

42 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Yes we are!  We fight a $10 saltwater license while the commercial fishermen spend tens of thousands each year on lobbyists.  Which group does better by paying?  That answer is more than a little obvious.  The same angler that balked at the saltwater license spent that much at a quick stop at the local WaWa or Quick Check on coffee and a Taylor ham, egg and cheese, let alone the $350 of gas he puts in his boat.....but I digress.    

Agreed

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

That would be predicated on the assumption the money that would be collected by those salt-water registry fees would actually go to ramp construction and maintenance as opposed to some general fund to then get diverted and spent on unrelated things (I can only imagine the drool coming out of a NJ Politician when they realize they have a new stream of money coming in. I envision a minimum of 50% of the collected fees going to "administrative costs"). This is NJ where people spend 10k+ on property taxes while scratching their heads wondering where that money goes and exact what they are getting for it. I have no confidence whatsoever that any new license fees charged to anglers would be spent wisely by the state of NJ.

Its not the fees it's monies from the pitman Robertson act that are dedicated funds. And other funds the state can't dictate use.  We are not getting our cut 

Edited by vdep217

19 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

it's monies from the pitman Robertson act that are dedicated funds.

But we are already getting PR funds - that's from firearm and ammo taxes, no? How does a salt-water registry fee affect PR funds? Where would the salt-registry fees go?

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I disagree with this. Your nuts. Your crazy. It's PORK ROLL not taylor ham. But I'd buy a salt water license 

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

15 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

But we are already getting PR funds - that's from firearm and ammo taxes, no? How does a salt-water registry fee affect PR funds? Where would the salt-registry fees go?

We are missing out on the ollacation states get for having a license. Yes we get out share from certain other things

46 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

They would go into the dedicated hunter and angler fund the Division controls and not the general Treasury. There they can be leveraged under Pittman Robertson.