IGNORED

2021 Garden Thread

Tomato, berry bushes and cilantro are all hardened off already have only needed to take them inside a few times at night but after tommorow I think I'm in the clear frost wise. Going to start hardening off everything else starting Monday. Started some sunflowers, zuks and cuks last week they are growing fast. everything else is growing out of control can't wait to get it all out of the house ๐Ÿ˜‚

PXL_20210424_102941314.jpg

PXL_20210424_102926911.jpg

PXL_20210424_102904799.jpg

PXL_20210423_215153113.jpg

PXL_20210424_102917901.jpg

NJW&W Members

ย 768

840 posts

Postedย 1 hour ago

Tomato, berry bushes and cilantro are all hardened off already have only needed to take them inside a few times at night but after tommorow I think I'm in the clear frost wise. Going to start hardening off everything else starting Monday. Started some sunflowers, zuks and cuks last week they are growing fast. everything else is growing out of control can't wait to get it all out of the houseย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

I don't know where you are located, but I think you are way early. I've always watched for clear nights with a full moon in May, almost always can count on frost. Full moon is April 26 and May 26 th. The 26th of May is pretty late for a frost with this theory, but I've experienced a killing frost in Morristown the 25th of May.ย  ย  ย Since I no longer have a greenhouse, I've finally broke down and built the same type of setup for seed germination. Do you use grow lights or just normal shop lights over your seedlings?ย  How do you water that stuff ? At the moment, my rack is by my sliding door, but with hardwood floors.

35 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

NJW&W Members

ย 768

840 posts

Postedย 1 hour ago

Tomato, berry bushes and cilantro are all hardened off already have only needed to take them inside a few times at night but after tommorow I think I'm in the clear frost wise. Going to start hardening off everything else starting Monday. Started some sunflowers, zuks and cuks last week they are growing fast. everything else is growing out of control can't wait to get it all out of the houseย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

I don't know where you are located, but I think you are way early. I've always watched for clear nights with a full moon in May, almost always can count on frost. Full moon is April 26 and May 26 th. The 26th of May is pretty late for a frost with this theory, but I've experienced a killing frost in Morristown the 25th of May.ย  ย  ย Since I no longer have a greenhouse, I've finally broke down and built the same type of setup for seed germination. Do you use grow lights or just normal shop lights over your seedlings?ย  How do you water that stuff ? At the moment, my rack is by my sliding door, but with hardwood floors.

I'm just going off the current 14 day forecast but Nothing is going in the ground yet I know it's early and another frost is definitely possible I'm just getting everything use to being outside and if it drops really low I'll bring it in. Yeah I use grow lights not shop lights ( 1 shelf has shop lights because I ran out of room) and notice a giant difference in the plants under the purple grow lights vs the standard led shop lights. For watering everything is bottom watered. I have all the cups sitting in the plastic top or bottom from when I germinated them. Each cup has 3 long slits around the bottom rim. Just pour water into the plastic dome and the plants suck up the water they need couldn't be any easier for that part.

Edited by Northjerseyoutdoorsman

2 hours ago, Northjerseyoutdoorsman said:

Tomato, berry bushes and cilantro are all hardened off already have only needed to take them inside a few times at night but after tommorow I think I'm in the clear frost wise. Going to start hardening off everything else starting Monday. Started some sunflowers, zuks and cuks last week they are growing fast. everything else is growing out of control can't wait to get it all out of the house ๐Ÿ˜‚

That's why I start my stuff late, they end up getting too big when I start them early. Still get more than enough stuff off them.

1 hour ago, Northjerseyoutdoorsman said:

I'm just going off the current 14 day forecast but Nothing is going in the ground yet I know it's early and another frost is definitely possible I'm just getting everything use to being outside and if it drops really low I'll bring it in. Yeah I use grow lights not shop lights ( 1 shelf has shop lights because I ran out of room) and notice a giant difference in the plants under the purple grow lights vs the standard led shop lights. For watering everything is bottom watered. I have all the cups sitting in the plastic top or bottom from when I germinated them. Each cup has 3 long slits around the bottom rim. Just pour water into the plastic dome and the plants suck up the water they need couldn't be any easier for that part.

I was looking at that 14 day forecast and that is why I am going in the ground early this year. Throwing in 32 pepper plants this coming wednesday to get it started. I usually wait til around may 10th give or take a few days. But I am in south jersey where the chances of another frost are much lower as that 14 day forecast gets me to about where I would normally go in the ground.ย 

You do have an awesome set up. I like it a lot. Very well thought out and planned.

Spread 10-10-10 in the garden today and tilled it for the second time this year.ย  Doesn't look like it will get below freezing again like the last 2 nights, so I'll plant a little lettuce, spinach, brusselsย sprouts seeds tomorrow.ย  Maybe get the potatoes in the ground too, since they go in deep.ย  Rest has to wait 2-3 moreย weeks.ย  Got a feeling were going to go from freezing to boiling pretty quick.ย  Found more blueberry bushes and planted 7 more this week.ย  Got the trailcams set up yesterday in my primary spots for this season.ย  Ready to relax for a little while and get back on the bicycle this coming week.

ย 

7 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Spread 10-10-10 in the garden today and tilled it for the second time this year.ย  Doesn't look like it will get below freezing again like the last 2 nights, so I'll plant a little lettuce, spinach, brusselsย sprouts seeds tomorrow.ย  Maybe get the potatoes in the ground too, since they go in deep.ย  Rest has to wait 2-3 moreย weeks.ย  Got a feeling were going to go from freezing to boiling pretty quick.ย  Found more blueberry bushes and planted 7 more this week.ย  Got the trailcams set up yesterday in my primary spots for this season.ย  Ready to relax for a little while and get back on the bicycle this coming week.

ย 

Can you PM me,GPS coordinates for your trail cams please.:happywave:

โ€œIn a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.โ€ -Theodore Roosevelt

31 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I'll show you where they are when you come to help me drag out a deer.

OK, but I'm going to need to eat a lot of your spinach!..lol

ย 

โ€œIn a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.โ€ -Theodore Roosevelt

23 hours ago, Northjerseyoutdoorsman said:

Wow great job........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COMย ย ย  ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMSย  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

• 2 weeks later...

The big buck ( now in velvet ) and his 2 cohorts came back this afternoon and were trying to find a way into my yard.......they made it into the neighbors and then I proceeded to pelt them with rocks, hard to hit through the bushes.....but eventually they ran off.....I need to be ever vigilant, the war is on........these were the ones I hit with rocks a week or so ago.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COMย ย ย  ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMSย  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

On 3/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bonefreak said:

My boy wants me to start a rasberry patch.....& I also need to get new strawberry plants.ย 
ย 

anyone have luck ordering them and having berry plants shipped? ย If so ...from where?

Where do you live?