IGNORED

2021 Garden Thread

1 hour ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Most of my experience is with seeding and greenhouse growing of warm temp. plants and their care prior to planting outside. When do most of you plant peas or beans, that you sow directly into the garden?  

Between May 1st and mothers day, depending on how the temps look.  I like the soil to be in the 50's and no chance of a frost.  

I'll be starting my tomato and pepper seeds this week indoors. I used to start them earlier but they always get too big. So the last couple years I've started them around now. Plus I'll buy a few plants, this way I don't get bombarded with tomatoes all at once.

11 minutes ago, DBuck said:

I'll be starting my tomato and pepper seeds this week indoors. I used to start them earlier but they always get too big. So the last couple years I've started them around now. Plus I'll buy a few plants, this way I don't get bombarded with tomatoes all at once.

Love getting them when they first start but then way to many at once

4 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Love getting them when they first start but then way to many at once

Same thing happens every year.  Cleaned, bagged and froze about 4 gallons last year from just a dozen plants.  Think they are still in the big freezer.  Wife buys them from the store instead.  Not planting many beans this year, but a lot may come up from the pods that were left in the garden last year.  Potatoes are good because they will keep through the winter.  I always have too many tomatoes, too.

I wait until all danger of frost is over before planting beans - remember last year's late frost?  I do.  I plant Hutterite bush beans and then let them dry on the stalk.  They are the final thing that I harvest and they make tremendous soup.

I saw that buck154 was talking about weed guard for tomatoes - I cover the beds in old newspaper and then cover that with red plastic.  I also water by hand with a watering can so I can direct the water to just the hole in the plastic that the plant grows through.  Watering by hand may or may not be your bag.  I find it relaxing and gives me time to observe just what is going on with the plants.  Obviously if I was planting by the acre I would have a sprinkler system.

I have to say that the Keen's garlic that I planted last year is growing well.  The snows appear to have protected the plants from the colder aspects of the winter - the green never died off and they are really taking off now.  Pretty well every clove sprouted vigorously - hopefully I am not jinxing myself now.  I have never had much success with garlic in the past but I am going to follow the instructions that I got here to the letter.  I am prepared to water them all April and May and then leave them to their own devices for June prior to harvest. 

I will not put out peppers or tomatoes until June ( will buy earlier to have a good selection) but I will probably buy from Janey at Cross Country nursery again.  I have been buying from her for 25 years now - when she had just started with growing peppers and before she branched out.  They are typically good plants that do well.

Edited by madeinuk

11 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Thank You, as I've never planted beans, I wasn't sure. All I know is that's one thing you don't start inside.

Beans are like candy to the deer and other critters........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Ive been harvesting lettuce and swiss chard from the green house and will be putting some cold weather crops outside in the next week or two.......my peas in the greenhouse are flowering and just may have to brush pollinate them as there is little insect activity inside.......cabbage and broccoli seeds are up.....basil seed is up....cukes are slow to germinate......new high deer fence seems to be working as they were photographed by my older daughter contemplating the jump but they didnt try.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

5 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Ive been harvesting lettuce and swiss chard from the green house and will be putting some cold weather crops outside in the next week or two.......my peas in the greenhouse are flowering and just may have to brush pollinate them as there is little insect activity inside.......cabbage and broccoli seeds are up.....basil seed is up....cukes are slow to germinate......new high deer fence seems to be working as they were photographed by my older daughter contemplating the jump but they didnt try.......

My cukes got hammered by the late frost last year - education is not cheap!

Thanks for the reminder on starting cukes.  I got pretty good at the lactic fermented pickles last year so will try again this year hopefully from the garden.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bonefreak said:

My boy wants me to start a rasberry patch.....& I also need to get new strawberry plants. 

anyone have luck ordering them and having berry plants shipped?  If so ...from where?

Try to get the thornless and seedless berry plants......also get June bearing strawberries the ever bearing ones dont do as well........

Looks like no more frosts by me with nightime temps in the mid forties.....I am going to set out my cold weather crops this week.......lettuce, spinach, cabbage, brocolli raab , swiss chard, etc etc..........