IGNORED

MAINE BIG BUCK CLUB

Nomad

Just now, Mallard1100 said:

How did you do this year up there? Not sure if I missed your usual report from your hunt. 

I saw one doe when I was walking back to the truck on the road, after walking 8 miles in the woods.😄. Had frozen leaves all week, it was tough conditions, no snow. Deer numbers are down quite a bit where we are. Been 5 years since I’ve shot a deer. Historically I shoot one every other year on average.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I saw one doe when I was walking back to the truck on the road, after walking 8 miles in the woods.😄. Had frozen leaves all week, it was tough conditions, no snow. Deer numbers are down quite a bit where we are. Been 5 years since I’ve shot a deer. Historically I shoot one every other year on average.

I blame the jerks from VT.  They seem to have the best luck in the woods.  Every year in NH there's a guy from VT weighing in some 200#+ buck when we get to town.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

53 minutes ago, 2-Stroke said:

Still dreaming of my Maine big buck. They stacked up the deer this year despite little snow.  Highest total in 50 some odd years. Hard going up there. Hunting counties were 4 deer is annual harvest. The next ridge though, that’s where the deer are. 

There are basically two Maine’s, north and south. South did good, north is terrible, very low harvest.

9 hours ago, electric10162 said:

I would welcome it. I've never tracked a buck for miles hoping to get a glimpse or a shot. I'm older and much more patient now.

Yeah tracking is great. But when you go up for only a week each year chances of getting tracking snow is not all that great. Realistically if you go for 10 years you might get a handful of days with good tracking snow. Guys who live up there have the luxury of running out and hunting after every snow that’s how you get them. And then when you get tracking snow it might only be good for a day before it freezes solid with the daily thaws and freezes overnight. Still it’s a great adventure, not that far, not that costly, very remote, millions of acres of woods, and always the chance for a big old buck.

Edited by Nomad

On 2/13/2021 at 7:47 PM, Nomad said:

Post the weight of your biggest Maine buck here.  (I will update the original post as club members enter their bucks). Pics would be nice also.

MAINE BIG BUCK CLUB        

Nomad:                   230#

trapoholic              200#

Badchevelle64     158#

Bowhio                    ***#(not weighed)

Longbow no forget.

https://www.newjerseyhunter.com/threads/sons-giant-maine-buck.246153/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 months later...

Hunted up in Maine many times, 10 or so. Have yet to shot a Maine monster. Have passed on several smaller rack bucks; spikes, 4’s and 6’s in the 150 weight range. One year I even watched the bucks antlers walk by me at about 50 yards but could never see the body. The camp I use to hunt has been up for sale. Maybe as my kids get older I will make it back up one year soon. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees.