IGNORED

slug performance on deer

mazzgolf

14 minutes ago, barrike said:

A few years back I shot a buck at 45 yards with a TC shockwave.  The bullet blew through both shoulders rendering the front legs useless.  The buck face plowed for 30 yards before dying.

Well, good example. It should not get through both shoulders if it worked as advertised

This is what 300 grain XTP's fired out of a Remington 700 ML look like after the shot, both these two deer were dead in their tracks shot through the shoulder with the two bullets shown.

Both these ML deer went to the show, Non typical was 1st place 2010 and  Typical was 4th place 2008

IMG_2677.JPG

100_5008a.jpg

NJH1.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

14 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Got ya!

Here is same spot, another 300 lb deer, different result. Both deer shot with the 300 Weatherby Mag 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 120-140 yards.

Did you get that deer?Your were breathing pretty hard before the shot

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 hour ago, Gobblengrunt said:

The right bullet should and will drop a deer in its tracks.  I’m not sure if a shotgun can produce enough velocity with the right slug to produce the hydrostatic shock needed to produce such that.  My muzzy shoots a 300 gr Barnes expander just shy of 2100 fps.  That’s the upper end of a “magnum” muzzy charge.  It will and has dropped every animal I’ve shot at “in its tracks”.  If a bullet pushes through an animal, the bullet is not working correctly and it’s wasted energy.  The controlled expansion on copper bullets work superior to any lead configuration when producing this shock.  Follow that with the correct velocity and you will drop every animal in its tracks (with correct shot placement too!). It’s not always attainable with slower cartridges like a shotgun.  My bullet has never exited a deer and has done its job flawlessly.  I have complete faith in Barnes expanders and Barnes tsx bullet (rifle) for this purpose.

You may find some truth to large caliber, slow rounds like a slug or muzzy.  But there is no chance a 140 grain Nosler Partition shot out of a 7mm Remington mag moving at 3,150 fps out of the muzzle will use up all its energy on a whitetail deer and not exit the far side on a shot ranging between 30-100 yards when shot through the lungs.  Just not happening.  But with the proper bullet weight of 140 in that caliber (.280"), the bullet expands more than enough and the wound channel is significant.  But still, most deer will go some yards before piling up stone dead.  And they will do that with a wound channel on both sides of their body.  

Just now, electric10162 said:

Yep. I still get excited! 

When that feeling goes away...I'm done

I hear you, I sometimes think this will be my last shot I am going to have a heart attack and my kids are going to be dragging deer and me out of the woods.

HONOR THE FALLEN

4 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

You may find some truth to large caliber, slow rounds like a slug or muzzy.  But there is no chance a 140 grain Nosler Partition shot out of a 7mm Remington mag moving at 3,150 fps out of the muzzle will use up all its energy on a whitetail deer and not exit the far side on a shot ranging between 30-100 yards when shot through the lungs.  Just not happening.  But with the proper bullet weight of 140 in that caliber (.280"), the bullet expands more than enough and the wound channel is significant.  But still, most deer will go some yards before piling up stone dead.  And they will do that with a wound channel on both sides of their body.  

As @Lunatic said earlier, rifle rounds are designed to expend all of their energy in the animal. That being said, I've only had one complete pass through with the 300 WBY and that was a shot way too far back. I ended up with a great blood trail and a dead deer within 150 yards.

Odd conversation for me....Every deer I have shot with a slug gun dropped right there, that I can remember. 90% of the time they were does or smaller bucks, and 90% of the time it was shoulder shots, always with a 12 gauge shooting either Winchester rifled slugs or BRI sabots.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

The one thing missed in the conversation is that 99% of the slugs are not designed to expand properly on this skinned game. Each manufacturer produces one weight bullet as opposed to a rifle which has options for thin skinned vs big boned game. Most guys will hunt deer with a 180gr bullet with the 30-06 yet that bullet is constructed for heavier game and often leads to deer running a ways since minimal expansion has happened. Hit that same animal with the 06’ and a 150gr bullet and the violent expansion tends to drop the animal due to energy transfer and bullet damage. Most will use the 180 because it tends to be more accurate. I will gladly sacrifice a small bit of accuracy for terminal performance. You do not have that option when it comes to rifled slugs. I choose a slug with the largest frontal area and want to connect with some bone for this reason 

AWM

My experience is that with the 20g 2-3/4" accuptips, the slug passes quickly through the deer.  I had the opportunity to shoot a few does last year on a buddies farm.  All three were shot at 100 yards +/-.  Heart/lungs.  All three ran between 75 and 100 yards +/-.  Blood trails were extraordinary.  Not every deer i've ever shot with them run that far, but nearly all ran out of view.  

My experience with the 20g Lightfields is that they expand to almost twice their original size and, even without hitting bone (except for maybe a rib) they end up just under the hide on the opposite side of the deer, expending all of their energy inside the deer.  Very few deer (I honestly cannot remember any) ran more than a few steps.