IGNORED

slug performance on deer

mazzgolf

11 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I think what he saying is that bullet selection in slugs is even more critical because of the lower velocity.  As already said in the slug and muzzleloader velocity range a pistol bullet best fits the application as it is designed to expand and transfer that shock in the lower velocity ranges

Hey V, what are you his lawyer?!!!

I get it, just bustin ya!😂

Just now, vdep217 said:

I've had numerous deer drop with lightfields from a 20 guage.  But lightfields are no longer made.  With 240 grain xtp and 100 grain pyrodex out of the last 10 deer shot with my muzzy 2 ran any distance one was very low hit the other was back.  All the rest dropped in their tracks

OK, I was thinking about XTP's for next year.  I have used Buckhammers, Hastings Laser Accurate, and Rottweill Laser Accurate which are big hunks of "lead" like Lightfields and never "dropped" a deer with a heart/lung shot. 

I'm not doubting you but just have had different experiences. 

36 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Agreed that it will work 99 percent of the time.  But this is not the intended use of a bullet.  Again putting a bullet double lung will no boubt kill a deer efficiently its not the same as putting a broad head through double lung.  As I said before you don't need to hit bone to drop a deer in its tracks.  Just need to be high enough that the hydrostatic shock produced by the bullet  dissrupts the spinal cord enough and being high in both lungs the animal will expire before it can recover from the shock 

I do believe we are saying the same thing, shot placement accuracy in most important aspect of the shot. No matter what round you use if you do not hit the intended spot and take out lung or heart it will not go down unless you BREAK the spine in which case dead or alive it will be on the ground.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

6 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

300 gr barnes expander/ 2100 fps

these are not my pics but this is what ive seen on any animal ive shot when found bullet shot from 50-250 yards.  Always been consistent penetration/ performance over all those velocities and range

1C1394E4-7E11-4E86-8BCA-83DC04EE5E6C.jpeg

203F7BAD-78CF-4648-AA39-7DB2F5D93C74.jpeg

What about powder charge? Thanks. 

I dropped a doe on the spot this past January with a 20gauge Accutip at 50 yards.  I purposely hit her high in the shoulder so I would have the best chance of dropping her in her tracks.  The spot I was hunting was on a fairly steep hill.  When hit, the deer run down the hill into the really thick stuff making recovery a b!tch.  The slug completely passed through the deer as well.

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

For me, the flaw in this post is the idea a deer is supposed to drop at the shot. Very seldom unless you hit major bone do they drop in their tracks. But when shot through both lungs, they are dead deer that won’t often make it 100 yards. There will be ample blood to follow. That’s for all guns and not just slug guns. 

Pretty much my experience as well, even with ultra-velocity calibers.  Plenty of times while field dressing, I've noticed that the animal that just ran 75 yards uphill, did so with a chest full of jello and no remaining heart.

42 minutes ago, Pathman said:

That’s the reason I switched from the Accutips, not enough expansion and meager blood trails. The deer were all dead of course, but at times they’d make it to thick cover which is a PIA. 
That being said, I don’t typically aim for the high shoulder anchoring shot, my go to POA, given the “bowhunters/crossbow hunter mentality” is to make my POA right behind the shoulder. If I place my arrow/slug there, the deer will die 100% of the time. So if your issues are with pass through a Lun, it’s because you aim for the same area I do, if you aimed for the high shoulder shot pass throughs wouldn’t be an issue. 
so again, it’s back to placement rather then bullet type. 

TC Shockwave I use in my ML is no good. It just not working as advertised. This type of bullet should not pass through the animal on a soft tissue/lung shot but it does every single time. Granted I never lost a deer but I have places I hunt I would like to see them drop or at least not go as far. In my case its definitely the bullet which passes through even on high shoulder hits. I shot enough deer with it  to conclude its no good. 

19 minutes ago, archer36 said:

OK, I was thinking about XTP's for next year.  I have used Buckhammers, Hastings Laser Accurate, and Rottweill Laser Accurate which are big hunks of "lead" like Lightfields and never "dropped" a deer with a heart/lung shot. 

I'm not doubting you but just have had different experiences. 

XTP FLATTEN OUT NICELY That's all I use in the ML and it is the rare occasion I loose a deer and when I do I know it was not the bullet it was my shot.

If your point of aim is to break the shoulder and take out the lungs, most times if you hit your spot the deer will be down in front of you. Here are pics of 300 Grain XTP's that dropped deer in there tracks shot through the shoulder. Break the shoulder then deer will not get up.

IMG_2677.JPG

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

TC Shockwave I use in my ML is no good. It just not working as advertised. This type of bullet should not pass through the animal on a soft tissue/lung shot but it does every single time. Granted I never lost a deer but I have places I hunt I would like to see them drop or at least not go as far. In my case its definitely the bullet which passes through even on high shoulder hits. I shot enough deer with it  to conclude its no good. 

A few years back I shot a buck at 45 yards with a TC shockwave.  The bullet blew through both shoulders rendering the front legs useless.  The buck face plowed for 30 yards before dying.

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I had same results with shock waves.  Thats why I went to xtp

Just now, vdep217 said:

I had same results with shock waves.  Thats why I went to xtp

The only reason I never changed and used the same thing for almost 10 years is because I was killing them anyway and I did not care if they ran. I am not as eager as some of you guys to make changes but I have a property where slowing them down or dropping would save me some headaches. I am definitely changing for next season. 

29 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well I'm going to have to look into this more closely. I really don't see how a deer hit in the heart/lung area (no where near the spine) can produce an instant kill. I have shot deer with every kind of slug (just about) and NONE has dropped with a heart/lung shot. A high double lung I can see, but not low in the body. 

Pretty instant