IGNORED

What buckshot should I use???

shooting an un-patterned buckshot gun is a sure-fire recipe for wounded deer.   You need to know the effective range.  Dinner plate pattern at 30 yards would be ideal.  The  point where the pattern breaks from that, is about the limit.    I know some say "all you need is one in the vitals" but that is the spray and pray mentality of buckshot that I despise...   Too many end up in the gut - deer dies days later.   Treat buckshot just like a slug or an arrow - need to put majority of pellets into the vitals, no excuses. 
I slightly differ from you... I pattern buckshot at 40yds. My Mossberg 500 can put 7 of 15 OO buckshot in a 10" circle at 40 yds. And I've even tested it at 50 yds. Puts 4 of 15 in a 10" circle. Because of this, I limit my shots to 45 yds.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I slightly differ from you... I pattern buckshot at 40yds. My Mossberg 500 can put 7 of 15 OO buckshot in a 10" circle at 40 yds. And I've even tested it at 50 yds. Puts 4 of 15 in a 10" circle. Because of this, I limit my shots to 45 yds.

David

Try 0 or #1 buck. I pattern at 20 and 40. Keep shots under 40. I prefer#1 buckshot and also the deer I shoot (pine deer) are generally under 130lb. 

Try 0 or #1 buck. I pattern at 20 and 40. Keep shots under 40. I prefer#1 buckshot and also the deer I shoot (pine deer) are generally under 130lb. 
Why would I do that? The load I'm using was recommended by the manufacturer of my choke, and the gun patterns great.

David

16 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

Why would I do that? The load I'm using was recommended by the manufacturer of my choke, and the gun patterns great.

David

My apologies. Wasn't meant as a slight. Just an opinion on possibly giving a denser pattern.  

My apologies. Wasn't meant as a slight. Just an opinion on possibly giving a denser pattern.  
I didn't take it as a slight. If my post came across that way, it shouldn't have... sorry. The choke I'm using is a PolyChoke, and they suggested I try Federal Premium 3" OO and OOO buckshot (without the flight control wad). I tested both and the OO performed great so I didn't test anything else; I called it a day.

David

Every gun/ammo has it's limitations. It's knowing them that is important. Can a 20 ga with buckshot kill a deer? Yes, at the proper range with the proper pattern. 

Hell, native Alaskan's motor up to swimming Caribou and shoot them in the head with a .22.