IGNORED

Thief/Trespasser HELP

1 hour ago, yoda4x4 said:

@Live to Hunt - Todd, I respect cops and all, but your stance on this entire case I find to be pretty pathetic.  You seem to provide ample cover for these boys/girls in blue instead of holding them accountable for their lack of actions.  Other than your poor taste in pets and drinks aka cats and wine (LOL), you seem to be a good guy.  But to see you repeatedly not even remotely try and hold the local police accountable, I find that disappointing.

What I find reprehensible is that the OP has stated his facts, has pictures of some guy on his private property, and yet the local police won't do a dang thing.  WTH is wrong with the local PD?  At a minimum, they've got this POS on trespassing, and should hold this guy accountable for the maximum charge possible.  It's no wonder that thieves continue to get away with this type of crap.  This makes me sick.

David

Yoda read my posts that’s all I can say I won’t repeat it. Yes I have disappointed a few and you won’t be the last. Now as for my love for cats and wine that’s a pretty low blow. :rant:

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

35 minutes ago, HuntEmDown505 said:

Here he is removing it. The next pic is of an empty tree. I dont have it on my phone at the moment. But here he is clearly operating the tree strap.

MFDC7772.JPG

Have you gone to the police department and spoke to the investigating officer to see where he she is at with the case??????????????????????

Edited by Live to Hunt

7 minutes ago, HuntEmDown505 said:

Here he is removing it. The next pic is of an empty tree. I dont have it on my phone at the moment. But here he is clearly operating the tree strap.

MFDC7772.JPG

Playing Devil's advocate here, unfortunately that picture doesn't show it in his possession.  He is still just "touching" it which is not breaking a law (although trespassing is).  Theft wise, it all comes down to the times between that picture and the one without it on the tree.  If it were literally 2 minutes later, OK, that's a stronger case of the pictured guy taking it.  If it was 2 hours later or even 15 minutes later, then there is "reasonable doubt" that someone else could have come, thrown a hat over the camera, taken the feeder down and out of the camera's view, and then removed the hat from the camera and went on their way.

Now let me be clear, the chances of there being someone else is VERY small and HIGHLY unlikely, however if there is ANY possibility, then there is no case based on the evidence provided thus far.  The only thing you'd have the pictured guy on is trespassing (which is still worth pursuing) and police do have an opportunity to question him and try to get him to slip up regarding the theft.  I guess that comes down to priorities, which to you (and many of us if it were us) makes this a a high priority, but to them it is likely much lower.  Doesn't make it right, just makes it a matter of resources/priorities, but in the end it *should* be investigated.

2 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Playing Devil's advocate here, unfortunately that picture doesn't show it in his possession.  He is still just "touching" it which is not breaking a law (although trespassing is).  Theft wise, it all comes down to the times between that picture and the one without it on the tree.  If it were literally 2 minutes later, OK, that's a stronger case of the pictured guy taking it.  If it was 2 hours later or even 15 minutes later, then there is "reasonable doubt" that someone else could have come, thrown a hat over the camera, taken the feeder down and out of the camera's view, and then removed the hat from the camera and went on their way.

Now let me be clear, the chances of there being someone else is VERY small and HIGHLY unlikely, however if there is ANY possibility, then there is no case based on the evidence provided thus far.  The only thing you'd have the pictured guy on is trespassing (which is still worth pursuing) and police do have an opportunity to question him and try to get him to slip up regarding the theft.  I guess that comes down to priorities, which to you (and many of us if it were us) makes this a a high priority, but to them it is likely much lower.  Doesn't make it right, just makes it a matter of resources/priorities, but in the end it *should* be investigated.

Can always tell who the smart guys are. :up: I know you like cats too :rofl:

If you know who the perp is, do this:

File a claim in small claims court for destruction of property and sue him for the amount of the stolen property.  It costs maybe $50 to file the complaint.  Get yourself organized with all of your evidence.  Establish a timeline of events and document that.  Show receipts or replacement costs for the destroyed property.  Go to court on your court date and give all of the evidence to the judge.

A civil case is decided on the preponderance of evidence, not "beyond a reasonable doubt".  The threshold is lower to achieve a favorable ruling; and you probably have enough evidence to demonstrate that.  More than likely, the perp will not show up in court, and you'll have a default judgment in your favor.  Getting paid will be difficult, but with a court judgement, you'll eventually be able to garnish wages or have the courts order his bank to pay you.  Trust me, this works.  It takes time, but you'll have him by the nuts.

For those folks throwing shade on LE for sitting on this; you probably have never been to court and gone through discovery.  I am in the middle of discovery in a federal case, and it is eye-opening.  My case is a civil case, but in a criminal case, if there is any doubt about your evidence, a half-decent lawyer will be able to tear it to shreds.  What WE think is rock-solid evidence is usually never accurate when it comes to the court system.

If I have learned one thing from the federal case I'm embroiled in right now it's that our "justice system" has nothing to do with justice at all.  None whatsoever.  It is a legal system where judges and lawyers make money, that's it.  I will NEVER refer to it as the "justice system" ever again.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

3 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

If you know who the perp is, do this:

File a claim in small claims court for destruction of property and sue him for the amount of the stolen property.  It costs maybe $50 to file the complaint.  Get yourself organized with all of your evidence.  Establish a timeline of events and document that.  Show receipts or replacement costs for the destroyed property.  Go to court on your court date and give all of the evidence to the judge.

A civil case is decided on the preponderance of evidence, not "beyond a reasonable doubt".  The threshold is lower to achieve a favorable ruling; and you probably have enough evidence to demonstrate that.  More than likely, the perp will not show up in court, and you'll have a default judgment in your favor.  Getting paid will be difficult, but with a court judgement, you'll eventually be able to garnish wages or have the courts order his bank to pay you.  Trust me, this works.  It takes time, but you'll have him by the nuts.

For those folks throwing shade on LE for sitting on this; you probably have never been to court and gone through discovery.  I am in the middle of discovery in a federal case, and it is eye-opening.  My case is a civil case, but in a criminal case, if there is any doubt about your evidence, a half-decent lawyer will be able to tear it to shreds.  What WE think is rock-solid evidence is usually never accurate when it comes to the court system.

If I have learned one thing from the federal case I'm embroiled in right now it's that our "justice system" has nothing to do with justice at all.  None whatsoever.  It is a legal system where judges and lawyers make money, that's it.  I will NEVER refer to it as the "justice system" ever again.

Well here we have another intelligent 🤓 man. But sadly he hates cats but he  does like wine. :up:

Yoda read my posts that’s all I can say I won’t repeat it. Yes I have disappointed a few and you won’t be the last. Now as for my love for cats and wine that’s a pretty low blow. :rant:
All the cops need to do is bring this scumbag in, show him the picture of him at the tree messing with the feeder, tell him that he's got a picture of it in his hands, and then tell him that he should just fess up to it. The POS will fall for it...

The only difficult part would be finding the thief, if they wanted to do so.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

All the cops need to do is bring this scumbag in, show him the picture of him at the tree messing with the feeder, tell him that he's got a picture of it in his hands, and then tell him that he should just fess up to it. The POS will fall for it...

The only difficult part would be finding the thief, if they wanted to do so.

David

Apparently it's local cops handling it, Not State Troopers. Troopers would actually try.  My neighbor had a problem with vandalism a couple years back, locals didn't do shit and it happened again. Called a trooper friend of mine and he had someone stop by, 3 days later the vandals were caught and the locals still had no clue who did it.

Apparently it's local cops handling it, Not State Troopers. Troopers would actually try.  My neighbor had a problem with vandalism a couple years back, locals didn't do shit and it happened again. Called a trooper friend of mine and he had someone stop by, 3 days later the vandals were caught and the locals still had no clue who did it.

This is exactly my point. Why in the hell do we pay local taxes which pay for local PD's salaries if the cops just sit around and do nothing. By everything the OP has posted, the local cops haven't done squat. Absolutely disgusting!

David

1 hour ago, DBuck said:

This is exactly my point. Why in the hell do we pay local taxes which pay for local PD's salaries if the cops just sit around and do nothing. By everything the OP has posted, the local cops haven't done squat. Absolutely disgusting!

David

0A926CBB-6BA0-4630-AF64-942BC59F990E.gif

Edited by Live to Hunt

David

We only know one side of what's going on..  the pictures posted as said still leave reasonable doubt of theft,  as for the trespassing again we dont know if its posted properly or if someone could enter without seeing signs.  Not saying it's not wrong but we dont know all the variables.  Police are restrained by the confines of the law.  While we can make educated guesses and come to the conclusion the guy did it the police can not.  What kind of society would we live in if presumed guilt was enough to punish we'd be back to times of Salem and the witch hunts be careful what you wish for