IGNORED

How Much Did You Spend on Bait this Season?

Nomad

15 minutes ago, archer36 said:

It's all about being in the right place at the right time. Frequency increases your chances. 

IMO the more time you hunt a  mature buck . 

The LESS chance you have shooting  him. 

The first sit on a good buck is always  your best chance at  giving him a ride in your truck 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Just now, hammer4reel said:

How many PY bucks did you shoot this season ? 

How about the last ten seasons ?

I do not trophy hunt deer in NJ. I hunt and take what is given me. I have been lucky to kill one P+Y deer totally by luck. You can't shoot P+Y deer if you use your tag on a smaller deer. So if you are testing my hunting prowess on that question it really means nothing in reality. 

6 minutes ago, archer36 said:

My Buddy told me he's had several bucks on camera at his spot last two mornings. He only hunts PM's. I went there this morning and guess what? No deer seen. Just because you see them on camera doesn't put them in the back of your truck.  A camera is a tool, not a predictor.

Could be a lot of reasons you didn't see any deer.  Nothing is ever guaranteed.  Maybe if you didn't go today, those bucks would have been on camera again?  Maybe they just cruised through and hung out with a late doe in heat for a couple days and moved on.  So many variables.  However, if you DID shoot a buck this morning, it would have been the camera and your buddy's info that put you there no?  Conversely, I've shot bucks I've never seen on camera too...so cameras don't see everything.

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

IMO the more time you hunt a  mature buck . 

The LESS chance you have shooting  him. 

The first sit on a good buck is always  your best chance at  giving him a ride in your truck 

What percent of guys on here do you think have the LUXURY of hunting more than one location/spot/treestand? 

Are you suggesting that if a guy only has one spot to hunt that he stays out of there until some magical time to kill a mature buck? 

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Could be a lot of reasons you didn't see any deer.  Nothing is ever guaranteed.  Maybe if you didn't go today, those bucks would have been on camera again?  Maybe they just cruised through and hung out with a late doe in heat for a couple days and moved on.  So many variables.  However, if you DID shoot a buck this morning, it would have been the camera and your buddy's info that put you there no?  Conversely, I've shot bucks I've never seen on camera too...so cameras don't see everything.

Exactly. 

I think most guys are spending more than they say. You can't walk any woods with out finding piles. I spend to much. I will put about 25 lbs at each stand early season and 50 lbs each stand later. 

I do know a guy that puts out 10's of thousands of pounds of corn a year :eek:

Edited by Buck154

Just now, archer36 said:

What percent of guys on here do you think have the LUXURY of hunting more than one location/spot/treestand? 

Are you suggesting that if a guy only has one spot to hunt that he stays out of there until some magical time to kill a mature buck? 

Depends on your goal.  That is precisely what I do.  Wait until the cam shows something I want to go after OR November comes around...then I'm on stand any day I can be and the conditions are right.  Depends on the area you hunt too, may be worthwhile to let a certain spot "develop" and either seek out another private spot or hunt public to fill the freezer.  Again, all depends on your goals.  Certainly no need to wait for a magical time if your goal is to shoot any deer.  You can go and hunt until any one shows.

2 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

I think most guys are spending more than they say. You can't walk any woods with out finding piles. I spend to much. I will put about 25 lbs at each stand early season and 50 lbs each stand later. 

Don't make fun of me! :rofl:

j/k, I don't put that much out...maybe 9000 or so...give or take 500.

Baiting is expensive, and hunting to a large degree has become more "bait and wait" IMO.  Sometimes that's good when time is tight, you can do other things (unless you have a lot of spots to bait, then it becomes more of a job).  But whenever I foresee more time in the woods (18 years from now), I'll likely get back into hunting without it again.  

10 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

my wife would divorce me if i bought that much lol  when i used the most corn was $4 a hundred and all the other stuff i would spend sunday in a field picking up....

Edited by buckhound

21 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I do not trophy hunt deer in NJ. I hunt and take what is given me. I have been lucky to kill one P+Y deer totally by luck. You can't shoot P+Y deer if you use your tag on a smaller deer. So if you are testing my hunting prowess on that question it really means nothing in reality. 

No just shows how your hunting isn’t getting it done  shooting mature deer. 

There are lots  of guys shooting deer using  bait as an attraction. 

And used  right can be more effective than  just sitting in the woods

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

39 minutes ago, archer36 said:

100% of the guys on here have the luxury of hunting more than one location/spot/ treestand. There are thousands of acres of public land that hold mature bucks. There is also access to thousands of acres of private land if you're willing to put in the effort and or the multiple rejections when asking for permission. However there are still landowners willing to allow the right person on their property, but you have to put in the effort.

For the original question.. I have year round mineral sites on all of my hunting properties and feed deer all year long on my property. 6 months of just corn and 6 months of corn/ protein pellets about 100 lbs a week. I'm in for too much $ for the maybe 1 good buck a year I decide not to let walk past me here in NJ. Good for the economy though.

Edited by chilly923

I baited my main spot w 50lbs/ week up until last month. Other spots I scout, I'll set a camera and dump a bag to see what's around. Ill also.put some out to attract  does during the rut in hopes  Mr Buck will stop in for a wiff. Add a couple Trophy rocks, and I'm probably $400+ give or take.