IGNORED

Appalachian Trail- Dog and Porcupine encounter/ Bird pictures

Well was hiking and checking cameras last weekend with my daughter who is home from college on the Appalachian Trail and ran into 2 hikers with there dogs, both dogs were off leash which I’m fine with ( provided they don’t bite) , they said they were from NY state and were hiking from Crater Lake to Stokes State Park, I was amazed , I said don’t you have the Appalachian Trail up in NY state and they said “yes but the Appalachian Trail in New Jersey is much more Beautiful “, pretty cool ! Anyway I warned them about Porcupines and showed them a picture of my friends dog from a couple weeks ago and they were shocked, they said they never saw one before and would never think they were in NJ ! 

Well they put the dogs on a leash immediately and admitted they would not know how there dogs would react to a porcupine, I told them the dog in the picture got stung by the porcupine on the back side of Crater Lake a couple weeks ago and I usually see one every time I hike, anyway if your up in Walpack area and you have a dog please be careful, protect your dog , I actually think the dogs get stung because they think they are protecting us !

Well the NJ Herald newspaper actually had a article this week  saying Porcupine attacks are on this rise this year, I see them all the time and never saw one aggressive!

Well had some cool birds come into my bird feeder so I threw a camera up there and of course they never came back, but this one is home made with sunflowers seed and then I have one with rye seed for the gold finchs, I don’t know if the gold finchs turn from yellow to green but now I have them coming in to the tube feeder with rye seed but now they are green !

Have a lot of cool birds coming in and no mosquitoes in the summer so it’s worth feeding them !

Good Luck !

5783F9F6-8B5F-41C3-8286-4DBBE1706276.jpeg

5E1ACE94-9C3F-42E8-9364-DAB5CE89F9D2.jpeg

B180CD02-BA98-4270-9297-0B5C7D5D2566.jpeg

68B20343-8BC6-4FAA-BEA3-E20E8E020EAF.jpeg

B4F30F62-7ECD-4D89-AB67-AC3EC194041D.jpeg

403805B4-2A50-40AA-BFBE-E66A2F92060A.jpeg

7821C45B-B106-4619-800B-16CEB793C7D3.jpeg

When we lived up in Vernon every one of our dogs got hit once each by a porcupine and a skunk.  Never as bad as this poor dog, but still had 8-12 quills in their mouth, probably not the correct technique, but my mom was a nurse and just grabbed the pliers and pulled them out.  Usually while one of us fed the dog peanut butter.

12 minutes ago, Batsto said:

Poor pup! I hope we never see one. How do you remove those quills? 

2 people I know that had them on face and some in mouth had to take them to a vet and tranquilize them so the dog is calm, otherwise they can go in deeper or brake and then possible infection!  Be careful with the pups in Porcupine territory.

Seen one every time I walked a pipeline.  Wasn't always the same one, either.  Seen a lot others in different places in the same park.  Wasn't too long ago when seeing one was a treat.

Don't gold finches migrate south?  Maybe you're seeing a warbler or something else now.

Edited by Greybeard

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

OH NO, the poor dog.  That's gotta hurt.

Cool bird pictures 1190.  :up:

Just talked to my buddy , the dog had to be sedated in order to pull them out but is totally ok now !

The Bill was 700.00 , well worth it, if you try to pull out that many the dog will break them and that’s real bad !