IGNORED

newbie owner of a masterbuilt electric smoker

mazzgolf

Home Depot sells a mat for under grills and smokers. It’s a composite concrete mat and its holding up extremely well for many years now on my wood deck.

Check out Amazingribs.com it’s the ultimate website for smoking, grilling and cooking. It goes deep into the science of cooking and how it all works and comes together, tons of great info and recipes.  

I still smoke old school the same way my first boss at an Oklahoma smoke house taught me 20 years ago. He has MS and for 2 summers I was his right hand man running the smoker. I wish I had a good source of mesquite and pecan around here (like logs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I would never put electric smoker on a wooden deck attached to my house. smoking is a long process and you will be leaving this thing hot un-attended for long periods of time. If that's the place you have to have it than get something under the smoker like metal tray, slate, brick. (I would have it away from the house. )

No oil ! 

Side note to the people who didn't know what we were talking about a while ago about how to spot a troll/spammer  in the forums ... well, see two comments above - notice the hidden link? And notice that it is from a new user (only 2 hours old) with only a single post? I SPY ..... A SPAMMER!

Oh, and notice he revived a 2 year old thread - that's another key indicator.

UPDATE: thanks to the mods - they deleted the spammer. :up:

Edited by mazzgolf
mods deleted the spam post I refer to.. kudos!

4 minutes ago, Frank Mangano said:

I have the same Smoker and I recently had trouble with the heating element found out on me shut up my electric try to Order one for master built but they’re not in stock and I’m having trouble finding one anywhere else Amazon or eBay a real bummer

My controller went bad after one year. The replacement was only about $30 so I was pleased. Sometimes they really whack you for parts. 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, mazzgolf said:

Just got delivered my new MasterBuilt electric smoker today :) There was an earlier thread about smoker recommendations and it seemed a lot of people have good things to say about these, so I got one of those smaller 30" ones while they were on sale.

It's my first smoker... I got some questions:

1) When you season a smoker for the first time, do you spray the inside (walls and grates) with cooking oil? Or do you just turn it on as-is for a few hours without coating the internal surfaces with oil? Instruction manual says just turn it on for 3 hours with no mention of coating the inside with oil, but I've seen other folks actually season their smokers with oil before turning on the heat for that first time.

2) The instructions say don't put the smoker on a flammable surface like wood. I suspect this is just paranoia to avoid lawsuits but I dunno. I have a wood deck I planned on putting this on - anyone else use their smoker on a wood deck? Is the heat that bad that it could scorch or burn the wood decking? I could buy one of those stands for it, or just put it on bricks if need be.

3) Where does everyone buy their wood chips?

4) Anyone ever make jerky in a smoker? Not sure how easy it is to make jerky with a smoker vs. a dehydrator. 

5) Give me recommendations for the first recipe to try :) -- I have a freezer full of venison as well as goose... I think I even have a rabbit and some pheasant in there, too.

F0500218-2D14-4FCD-B392-D63EA535B850.jpeg

D0A36F04-87F9-4861-A04D-1592120E257E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bigmac said:

Tried to post recipe but it didn’t work out, google goose pastrami and see what recipes are online.  It’s the best way I’ve eaten goose and I’ve been hunting and cooking them for more than 25 years

My pal made corned snow goose with this recipe and you can do it with venison as well...

E4630C1F-F6D3-4DB2-ACBD-485D151265E7.png