IGNORED

newbie owner of a masterbuilt electric smoker

mazzgolf

no electric smoker for me. real wood. i cook, smoke, and grill everything there is. also use mine to season my cast iron. took me a little while to get the hang of it but like with everything, you get use to it and more importantly, learn. IMO a real smoker is better then an electric one using man made pellets

• 9 months later...

My 40 inch MB Smoker went on the fritz last year after two full years. I surmised it was the heating element. Replaced it with a knockoff from Amazon and it still didn't work. I replaced the control panel last year too. It was only about $30. I have to troubleshoot it this Spring. Not happy with the CS. Can't get a live person. They have been using Covid as an excuse for over a year. 

I have the same smoker.  Here’s my tips.  For seasoning just turn up high and let it burn off the factory oils.  For wood chips I buy on Amazon or hardware store at times depends when and how much I need.  You can smoke on a deck if it’s wood but it will drip and stain to put cardboard underneath to prevent that.  I would invest in a remote thermometer as the analog one on the front breaks almost instantly.

I like pork but or ribs on the smoker as its a bit easier in my option.  The pork butt especially you can smoke a 8 pounder then freeze a bunch for left overs.  

good luck

FYI: this is a 2-year old thread :)

and, fwiw: I love my smoker for these past 2 years... it's still going strong. Just smoked some goose breasts this past week making pastrami. I store it in my sunroom to protect the electronics and heating element from the weather. I only wheel it outside when I am using it.