IGNORED

10/30 CHECK IN

Greybeard

I thought the buck ran the does off but still had 2 mature doe and a fawn 8 yards away feeding, and it was time to get down. I figured "grunt at them - it will be them being chased by a buck, not a human" - and it worked quite effectively.   Only problem was - the buck heard my grunts and came charging in, and proceeded to very aggressively hit the two massive community scrapes at this spot, under overhanging cedar limbs.   Then - a mystery buck came from completely different direction and ran him off.   The one that got run off was indeed, a small 8, but I never saw the other buck as he took over the scrapes but it was pitch dark and waited him out. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

33 minutes ago, Mpdiesel said:

Never came in. Glad it didn't. Would have been tough to pass up and I know I got a bigger buck at my other spot. But its still early in the rut and lots of permit bow left. Probably give it a go tomorrow morning before work and see what happens. 

I am ready to eat tag soup - I love hunting the rut and it's just getting started and am off next week too.  BUT - it fun and frustrating. There is nothing like hearing a deep grunt before you see him, and it getting closer... But rut hunting is so random and can be so hot and so cold.     Tomorrow morning - it's time.  Getting into the thick and nasty, on a powerline, gonna sit as long as I can. No bait, no cams- just a rut hunt.  I can't say tomorrow is that one day to be in the woods, but it's getting very close.   I am going to try and keep my standards high though. This will be the first year in some time - not in Ohio for Halloween plus one week.  

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Got in 30 minutes later than I wanted to today. Mature doe is watching me get on stand and takes off. Wind is good, never smelled me or snorted just saw me in my entirety standing there like a chooch. Get on stand and sure as heck I see him. Shooter! Standing right where she was. I grunt twice, he just lopes off following her out of site. Hour later a skipper doe comes in before I grunted in a spike. 5-6 deer were at 75 yards chasing each other as I got down at last light. Crept my way out one step at a time, not wanting to blow them out. 

Like Trophy8 said, now is the time. We need to get lucky just one time. 

Edited by LPJR

2 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Got out late so did more of an observation stand sit . Saw 8 baldies but nothing was harassing them . Son just saw does also . But a few miles down the road on our way home had to hit the brakes for a big old doe and real nice buck pushing her . 

On my way home I saw a really good buck just laying in someones drive way. Thought it had been clipped by a car with how its legs were sprawled out. Got out and it got up and ran right past me. Definitely nothing wrong with it. As I was leaving I noticed it was tending a fresh roadkill doe.