IGNORED

Maine Moose down 2018

T10R4

Up at 3:30am Monday morning to meet our guide who scouted area since previous Thursday .  He found several Bulls in area near my camp one being what he thought was close to 50in and had pics.  We went after him first, it was 22degrees at 5am perfect morning very still.  Called to 9am with no results.  Moved to several different areas with same results.  I have to admit I have a new respect for moose, hardest hunt I've ever been on.  I've hunted north woods of Maine since I was a kid but running the ridges, crossing bogs and tramping thru the swamps really caught up with me this time.  By late afternoon my guide saw I was dragging and asked where i wanted to sit until dark.  We went back to starting point and he started calling we immediately got a response from several directions, guess full moon had they laying late in day, by 6pm he showed himself in bog.  338c barreled him over from 200yds, but needed backup from my son with 30.06c as well as several more rounds to keep him down.  You definitely don't want to let them run back into the deep woods.  Live weight approx 1100lbs.  It turned out to be same the 50in possible bull we were after at first light.  We had additional 2 friends paralleling us all day as well as another friend waiting with trailer.  3 hrs later now 9pm he was hanging on pole...

16 minutes ago, T10R4 said:

Up at 3:30am Monday morning to meet our guide who scouted area since previous Thursday .  He found several Bulls in area near my camp one being what he thought was close to 50in and had pics.  We went after him first, it was 22degrees at 5am perfect morning very still.  Called to 9am with no results.  Moved to several different areas with same results.  I have to admit I have a new respect for moose, hardest hunt I've ever been on.  I've hunted north woods of Maine since I was a kid but running the ridges, crossing bogs and tramping thru the swamps really caught up with me this time.  By late afternoon my guide saw I was dragging and asked where i wanted to sit until dark.  We went back to starting point and he started calling we immediately got a response from several directions, guess full moon had they laying late in day, by 6pm he showed himself in bog.  338c barreled him over from 200yds, but needed backup from my son with 30.06c as well as several more rounds to keep him down.  You definitely don't want to let them run back into the deep woods.  Live weight approx 1100lbs.  It turned out to be same the 50in possible bull we were after at first light.  We had additional 2 friends paralleling us all day as well as another friend waiting with trailer.  3 hrs later now 9pm he was hanging on pole...

Some nice cold weather!  First day, that didn't take long.  Congrats again.