IGNORED

Old Stands, cool history and great scouting tools.

OneShot1Kill

Lp,Was that a death March straight up then hit the plataeu? And mega that one is a time bomb just waiting to go hha and the bottom one I would venture today by the type of tree the owner of that stand went for quite a ride on the way up and decided he's done with climbing boards 😂

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

One picture in the article , big oak tree with a red circle around it was the stand I shot my first deer out of with a bow . As you can see there is a swimming pool sitting right behind it now. It was an old 280 acre farm , turned to a development. I had to drive into a culdesac to take pic. Thankfully with green acres and now. 5 acre minimum in my town everything's protected and very little if anything can built going forward.

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

I've taken a lot of pics of old abandoned stands to post in a thread on another sight.  The one in your pic kinda looks familiar.  You'll have to refresh my memory where it is.  They all must have been a good spot at one time for someone to take the time to build a stand there.  I've put up a few way back when.

16049754221_a0d1bf84bc_b.jpgIMG_7172c by shot4u2c, on Flickr

One picture in the article , big oak tree with a red circle around it was the stand I shot my first deer out of with a bow . As you can see there is a swimming pool sitting right behind it now. It was an old 280 acre farm , turned to a development. I had to drive into a culdesac to take pic. Thankfully with green acres and now. 5 acre minimum in my town everything's protected and very little if anything can built going forward.

Wow thsts an old one. Looks at those spikes. And the one in my pic is located in the woods.😄

• 11 months later...

Those old wooden stands are some of the best things to find when scouting new areas. I scouted a spot today and there were 4 rotted wood stands within 50 yards or so. So I went back to the truck and grabbed a cam and food block to see if it is worth setting up this season. Those stands make you wonder what the stories are behind them. What made those people choose to haul wood and build a stand in a certain tree, facing a certain direction, etc.

Ah the good ole days!!!…150 acre cow farm in blairstown..7 guys $80.00 per man per year!.After a season or 2 we had a good idea where to put em.So then we'd have a camping/stand building party in Aug.

1567898544995463256757.jpg

1567898422956-365975213.jpg

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

Great pics bob! 

Thanks Mike.my pentax k1000.Guy on on right wouldn't say cheese.lol..He was disgruntled why didn't we get to my tree.lol..Got er done next day,no one shot.lol..Then I had to go to the shop rite to have my filmem developed,3- 5 day's.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt