IGNORED

New Brunswick Bear

Woodsman416

I headed up to NB on June 17th for a bear hunt. First night I saw 9 bears including one giant. Second night I saw 12 bears including three big boys. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me a good shot. Third night I killed the second bear that came in. I thought he was one of the bigger ones but he was average sized. I was so pumped up I shot too quick! Still a great hunt!

2018 bear.jpg

I didn't weigh it. I figure about 235 to 250 lbs. I shot the bear at about 5:30 PM. I had no cell service where I was hunting and Tom, my guide, wasn't going to come for me until about 10:30 or 11:00. The bear was dead within 20 yards. It's the 5th bear I've shot with a bow and the first time I heard the death moan. Pretty eerie! I figured with 5 plus hours I might as well drag it out to the logging road. I made a travois out of 1 1/2" saplings and para cord  and dragged it about 200 yards out. Once out of the bush, I dug up the rock to position the bear and set my phone on timer and took a couple of pictures. By this time it was around 6:30 so I turned my thermacell back on and got work skinning and quartering. I hung the quarters and backstraps in the shade with paracord and rolled up the hide which I placed on a rock in the shade as well. I set my thermacell under the meat to keep the flies off and for the next couple of hours I walked up and down the road trying to keep the blackflies and mosquitos at bay.

Edited by Woodsman416