IGNORED

2018 Vegetable Gardens

Buck154

24 minutes ago, rgw said:

I see you use grass clippings as weed control. How do you like it, doesn't it bring weed seeds into garden?

I use grass clippings also. It might bring in some seeds but it’s way better than not putting anything down.

I hate weeding!!!

29 minutes ago, rgw said:

I see you use grass clippings as weed control. How do you like it, doesn't it bring weed seeds into garden?

Go with the fabric weed guard. I went to it last year and i never had to pull a weed. Well worth it

24 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Go with the fabric weed guard. I went to it last year and i never had to pull a weed. Well worth it

That's what I normally do, this year with the rain I was running late and didn't put it down. I also herd newspaper is good because it will break down and holds moisture. Can't decide if I want to try it or use organic weed killer as needed

Screenshot_20180527-111848.png

6 hours ago, rgw said:

That's what I normally do, this year with the rain I was running late and didn't put it down. I also herd newspaper is good because it will break down and holds moisture. Can't decide if I want to try it or use organic weed killer as needed

Screenshot_20180527-111848.png

Really don't need the salt. The soap helps it to stick but otherwise not necessary. I use straight vinegar. Sometimes I'll cut it with some water. 

10 hours ago, KBfishing said:

I have used grass clippings for 5 years now. Best thing i  ever did for my garden. No weeds, retains moisture, and as the grass breaks down it is natural fertilizer. Garlic is planted in october and is harvested mid june. It grows awesome here. I have over 600 bulbs planted. 

Cool. Get a chance get a close up of a plant/bulbs when you pull some. 600 cloves of Garlic is a lot, what do do with that much?

Edited by Buck154

It took only 2 days for the new zucchini seeds to come up.  Stuff I plant end of May/beginning of June, catches up with the same stuff I planted a few weeks earlier.  I should probably wait, except for the cold stuff like lettuce, but the itch to plant gets to me when we get the first few warm days.

I use grass clippings.  It has a few advantages, and weeds will grow anyway if I don't use it.  Sooner or later it goes in as compost.  Putting it directly in cuts out additional carting, keeps a more constant soil temp and moisture content, plus cuts down on weeds.  Just don't pile it against plants.  it will cook them, like wet hay in a barn.

Edited by Greybeard

Garden Ghosts are up!!

To keep the groundhogs head on a swivel and to give him a lil anxiety of what's over his head......past few years I have had success hanging iridescent shiny Mylar up high on rebar poles with braid fishin line and letting the wind give it some movement, that seems to freak out my arch nemesis, Mr G-hadist G-hawg!!

Of course the, always supportive, wife, says it looks ridiculous.....but my garden is not in a popularity contest.....jus need something effective and efficient at thwarting the efforts of Mr. G-hawg!!

20180530_131314.jpg

20180530_131311.jpg

20180530_132655.jpg

20180530_132736.jpg

Edited by Bonefreak

8 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Garden Ghosts are up!!

To keep the groundhogs head on a swivel and to give him a lil anxiety of what's over his head......past few years I have had success hanging iridescent shiny Mylar up high on rebar poles with braid fishin line and letting the wind give it some movement, that seems to freak out my arch nemesis, Mr G-hadist G-hawg!!

Of course the, always supportive, wife, says it looks ridiculous.....but my garden is not in a popularity contest.....jus need something effective and efficient at thwarting the efforts of Mr. G-hawg!!

20180530_131314.jpg

20180530_131311.jpg

20180530_132655.jpg

20180530_132736.jpg

Nice. I prefer a gun :fudd: to keep the ground hogs out :rofl: