IGNORED

2018 Vegetable Gardens

Buck154

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

SEEDS... high priced...few in a pack... most don't germinate.   Nothing like they used to be.

I thought it was just me,  I was in Lowes  and happened to notice a variety of tomato (juliet) that I really like -- ended up buying a package

Planted inside, in a window, early April -- nothing germinated -- So I went back, bought another pack -- same thing -- nothing germinated -- 13 or 15 coated seeds in the pack

13 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

I thought it was just me,  I was in Lowes  and happened to notice a variety of tomato (juliet) that I really like -- ended up buying a package

Planted inside, in a window, early April -- nothing germinated -- So I went back, bought another pack -- same thing -- nothing germinated -- 13 or 15 coated seeds in the pack

My wife bought me a survival packet of mixed seeds that are suppose to be top notch and last for years.  Hate to tell her she wasted her money, but I have to go buy more seed.  3 of 30 cucumbers came up, 2 out of a row of spinach, none of the 15 zucchini seeds, 2 out of 6 winter squash, less than a third of the beans, 1 carrot in the row, and the pink coated cucumbers from lowes has done nothing.  Yet, I have beans and tomatoes coming up all over from seed that laid out in the garden all winter.  I'll be replanting as soon as the rain gives me a chance.

22 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

My wife bought me a survival packet of mixed seeds that are suppose to be top notch and last for years.  Hate to tell her she wasted her money, but I have to go buy more seed.  3 of 30 cucumbers came up, 2 out of a row of spinach, none of the 15 zucchini seeds, 2 out of 6 winter squash, less than a third of the beans, 1 carrot in the row, and the pink coated cucumbers from lowes has done nothing.  Yet, I have beans and tomatoes coming up all over from seed that laid out in the garden all winter.  I'll be replanting as soon as the rain gives me a chance.

Don’t tell her just go get more seeds. It will be your fault any:nonono:way 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

I never had a problem getting them started from seed. I alway soak them in water over night before planting.

They have been soaking in water ever since I planted them, lol. 

I got more seed, and much better results when they were 10 cents a pack.  They must be charging more to cover the cost of repackaging the seeds that didn't sell last year. 

Hydroponic test plants in tonight.

20180523_185742.thumb.jpg.8b1759f77dde53b2f89f28f426085cd5.jpg

5-gallon pail with fertilizer mixture.  Pail painted black to preclude algal growth.

20180523_185756.thumb.jpg.bf3038df2bd5ff50e3a9ab274792bb85.jpg

Plant with soil washed off root system being installed within basket and porous growth medium.

20180523_185748.thumb.jpg.202668bd2b77f6bd11d756259f75f13a.jpg

20180523_190909.thumb.jpg.53f2e20085fa03701733a3f2468d1ee4.jpg

Tomatoes and peppers in pails.

20180523_190929(1).thumb.jpg.12863faebdb9f8b031ae9f74fc4f579c.jpg

Drainage holes allow for precipitation to drain, thus not drowning plants and keeping interior water level constant.

Supposedly these are self-contained for the season.  We'll see.