IGNORED

2018 Vegetable Gardens

Buck154

I've been cutting yellow squash and zucchini, and a few pickles. Have to wait for a few more pickles (a few days away) before I start putting them up in jars. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

14 minutes ago, DV1 said:

I've been cutting yellow squash and zucchini, and a few pickles. Have to wait for a few more pickles (a few days away) before I start putting them up in jars. 

What kind of pickles are you making? Any good recipe for pickles? I just made 5 jars of Bread&Butter pickles yesterday. Did a dill a few weeks ago. These were the first time ever making any and trying to find a good recipe.

4 hours ago, Buck154 said:

What kind of pickles are you making? Any good recipe for pickles? I just made 5 jars of Bread&Butter pickles yesterday. Did a dill a few weeks ago. These were the first time ever making any and trying to find a good recipe.

I just do the dill pickles. I use the Mrs Wags packets.  Family is not fond of the bread and butter pickles, so I do all dill. I do thin sliced, spears, pickle "chips" and whole, small pickles. I will probably doing a dozen jars or so Thursday. Picked a bunch more big ones today, as well as a cubanelle pepper, more zucchini and yellow squash, and a few pints of blueberries. I have a good number of the baby pickles on the vine too so Thursday will be a busy day. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I used packets last year.  Think they were mrs wags(from walmart).  Bread and butter came out really good, but the dills were weak.  Maybe I mixed something wrong with  the dills.

That's the one I just did yesterday.  Only did 5 jars

On 6/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, Buck154 said:

You are not kidding. The first one is always the best. 

First one out is always a tomato sandwich with mayo, salt and lots of peper

You missed the crunched up potato chips!

Edited by madeinuk

Spent about an hour and a half in the garden this morning, pulling some weeds, picking some more stuff and watering the plants. We got rain last night but only enough to wet the surface, dusty dry underneath the wet crust. It's only half the size this year but still enough to keep me busy.

20180621_083854.jpg

20180621_074023.jpg

Edited by DV1

23 minutes ago, DV1 said:

Spent about an hour and a half in the garden this morning, pulling some weeds, picking some more stuff and watering the plants. We got rain last night but only enough to wet the surface, dusty dry underneath the wet crust. It's only half the size this year but still enough to keep me busy.

20180621_083854.jpg

20180621_074023.jpg

Still a big home garden 

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Still a big home garden 

For several years...when I was younger and more ambitious... I planted everything back to the woods. Now, well, my lower back is killing me just keeping up with this.

49 minutes ago, DV1 said:

For several years...when I was younger and more ambitious... I planted everything back to the woods. Now, well, my lower back is killing me just keeping up with this.

It's discouraging to plant a big garden when a lot of it goes to waist.  I'm going to have a ton of beans this year, and as usual, my wife will make veggies that come frozen in a microwaveable package.

26 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

It's discouraging to plant a big garden when a lot of it goes to waist.  I'm going to have a ton of beans this year, and as usual, my wife will make veggies that come frozen in a microwaveable package.

Yeah it is. I used to give a lot away, and the biggest part of the garden was always pumpkins and watermelons, which I sold on a roadside stand. Unfortunately, about 75 percent of it ended up getting stolen (it was on the honor system) so I quit putting it out. Even when I cut it down to the size of the fence, I throw out over half of what I pick. All goes to the compost pile.