IGNORED

2018 Vegetable Gardens

Buck154

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, hammer4reel said:

My fathers garden was his pride and joy.

it was 60' X68'

he fed half his neighborhood out of it .

he always had  over thirty tomatoes plants  about half dozen varieties. Including rutger, big boys ,beef steaks in three colors. And bunch different cherry tomatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

and a variety of giant plum tomatoes that had come from Italy via an old neighbor.( kept that plant going almost 40 years )

he dried seeds from each variety on paper plates to use the following year

peppers, onions, potatoes , peas , snap peas, sweet corn.

cabbage, few types of leaf lettuce.

black berries and razberrys.

So did my father. Not too many people, including yours truly, are willing to put this much effort into growing vegies. I plant what I can eat

On 5/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, Greybeard said:

What do you all use for insecticide or other chemicals?  I try to do without it, but last year the tomatoes had some sort of brown fungus on the stalks and  on some tomatoes.  Looked like they were dusted with brown flour.  Cut worms are another problem I've dealt with.  I stopped planting broccoli because of the green worms that get into the heads.  Want to use something this year, but not a strong chemical.  Do you treat the soil now with something, instead of directly on the plant?

Agri-Fios fungicide, Any Horti oil

I get a little carried away with the whole garden-to-table-thing. These pics are from previous year, been raining for 8 days straight so not going out to take pics yet, but it looks about the same each year. Usually do zucchini, yellow squash, 3 varieties of egg plant, a few varieties of tomatoes, including grape and cherry, green bell, jalapeno, pablano, cubanelle and long hot peppers, strawberries, kale, cucumbers, pickles, string beans, yellow wax beans, most years watermelon and cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and I have a row of blue berries in the fence. 

20150622_134021.jpg

DSC00401.JPG

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Also have some blueberry and raspberry beds along the side of the driveway, and apple, peach and cherry trees in the back.

DSC00316.JPG

DSC00327.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

And I grow herbs in the pots and beds near the house: basil, mexican oregano, greek oregano, mint, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and sage. Think that's all.

20150622_133745.jpg

DSC00897.JPG

DSC00346.JPG