IGNORED

Saw some stuff in the snow I’ve never seen...

06roadking

Got in my tree Sat. afternoon bout 2:30. Love hunting in the snow. I don’t put any corn out til about this time of the year when the pickings for food gets a little slim. Filled my feeder Thursday to get them coming on the weekend. Sat up in the snow til about 4 and in came a Doe and twin fawns. They munched a while til 4 more does walked in. Then a small herd of 8 does and a buck that had what looked like #2 pencils sticking out of his head. He ran the does off and they stood around til he was done eating then they got back to eating. Saw 5 more deer coming and the does and the little spike all backed away. All 5 were spikes. Never seen so many spikes at once. Then here comes a bigger bodied deer. The spikes all backed off and milled around with the does. This guy was a 4 pointer. He ate while looking over his shoulder constantly. In a minute I see why. An even bigger bodied deer was coming. He comes in and all of them take a few steps back. He was a one horned spike with about a 15 inch spike. He ate while the rest watched and milled around. Finally he walked off and some of the others resumed eating all in the pecking order they had adhered to when they came in. Finally at about 6pm I had to bang my pull up rope against my stand in order to get down. Very interesting to observe the dominance order of nature. I’ve never seen so many spikes on one sit in my life. Hell of a night out. Sitting still so long in the snow had me pretty seized up and getting down was a challenge but well worth it.

All those spikes could be due to competition for food, considering all those deer you saw. I haven't seen that many deer in NJ in the last 2 months combined.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

that is very unusual, but every one of those spikes could be 8 points or better next year.   Sad that there was once the mantra " a spike will always be a spike".  

The only thing about spikes is - I can't tell which ones became the rack buck the following season.   I find it quite easy to compare back to bucks at age 2.5, once they become 3.5 and figure out which ones were which, but unless they grow some sort of distinguishable rack what that 1.5 spike turned into is often a mystery (unless kept in captivity). 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Yeah I never shoot spikes cuz I always figure they could be special in a couple of years. I have lots of meat and can shoot does most any sit in my spot so no need to take out anything that could be nice in years to come. Just really interesting to watch the pecking order in nature and amazing how they find the food so quickly