IGNORED

Recent Visit to Dicks

I'll tell you what happened it's 2017 not 1957. Times change and they always will

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

Pictures from the good old days. Me, my father and brother hunting bears before rage broadheads and scent loc suits.

Β 

That's when men were men. Β They used their buddy as bait while they stabbed the bear with spears. Β 

:cupcoffee: Β This is not an attack on Hunting Since I enjoyed it for 56 years Started at 10 to about 11 years ago give or take.

When at dicks I took a slow walk thru the Hunting Section. Β What I saw was unrealistic withΒ all things available to day. Β Cabelas was another story. Β Β 

My memories of local Sproprt goods Store back in Union ( HUFFS ) had a few Guns boxes of ammo. Quality Clothing Enter the photos of my father and I dressed in Woolrich and Thermal Underwear we both used Rem. 12 ga 1100 Bird shoot small game 00 buck for deer. Had areas we had regular spots we hunted in Sussex & Warren. the week before 6 day Deer Season. We would Scout and pick out a spot to Stand that Monday since we hunted the same areas during the small game we had a good Idea of the Habits of the deer. From Bedding to Feeding.Β 

Hunting pressure varied depending on the Weather but we always went. Β Some land was PreviteΒ but for the most part Public Hunting Grounds. The Early year's deer were hard to come by their numbers were low in all of NJ The heavily Farmed areas had the Most The Wooded Sussex had few,

Our SuccessΒ was low in the 50s - into the 70s had a better chance when the Party Permits and Doe Permits came about.

The 80s began a big improvement in the success the 90s were days of Plenty with Numerous deer taken.

In all those Years are methods and equipment remainedΒ the same, But for me and Black PowderCap Β Ball Patch. Β My preferred Method from day one when it started.

Β 

Remember This Is Not an AttackΒ or a Put Down on anyone's Choices on How To Hunt or with what you Choices of Firearm. or Choice of what you Hunt.

BUTΒ What happened to just Plain Hunting with out all the Bells and Whistles I see in the Stores and on Line. Β The tradition and style of HuntingΒ to me has been Lost. Β 

Do you Really need it all toΒ HUNTΒ The reward is Success in Harvesting a deer?

Β 

Might sound unfamiliarΒ to many But I quit Deer Hunting when the people I Hunted with in a Freehold Gun Club had a very differentΒ Idea from me on Hunting It became Killing numbers and competitionΒ between Clubs. Β 

Maybe because my Son never took to Hunting after his first 2 Years at 10 & 11 YO. I lost interest as to me Hunting and fishing is a SharingΒ Sport. Β Ending with get out enjoy your selfs time is passing memories are Comming.Β 

Β 

I don't think its lost. It evolved. Β 

:cupcoffee: Β This is not an attack on Hunting Since I enjoyed it for 56 years Started at 10 to about 11 years ago give or take.

When at dicks I took a slow walk thru the Hunting Section. Β What I saw was unrealistic withΒ all things available to day. Β Cabelas was another story. Β Β 

My memories of local Sproprt goods Store back in Union ( HUFFS ) had a few Guns boxes of ammo. Quality Clothing Enter the photos of my father and I dressed in Woolrich and Thermal Underwear we both used Rem. 12 ga 1100 Bird shoot small game 00 buck for deer. Had areas we had regular spots we hunted in Sussex & Warren. the week before 6 day Deer Season. We would Scout and pick out a spot to Stand that Monday since we hunted the same areas during the small game we had a good Idea of the Habits of the deer. From Bedding to Feeding.Β 

Hunting pressure varied depending on the Weather but we always went. Β Some land was PreviteΒ but for the most part Public Hunting Grounds. The Early year's deer were hard to come by their numbers were low in all of NJ The heavily Farmed areas had the Most The Wooded Sussex had few,

Our SuccessΒ was low in the 50s - into the 70s had a better chance when the Party Permits and Doe Permits came about.

The 80s began a big improvement in the success the 90s were days of Plenty with Numerous deer taken.

In all those Years are methods and equipment remainedΒ the same, But for me and Black PowderCap Β Ball Patch. Β My preferred Method from day one when it started.

Β 

Remember This Is Not an AttackΒ or a Put Down on anyone's Choices on How To Hunt or with what you Choices of Firearm. or Choice of what you Hunt.

BUTΒ What happened to just Plain Hunting with out all the Bells and Whistles I see in the Stores and on Line. Β The tradition and style of HuntingΒ to me has been Lost. Β 

Do you Really need it all toΒ HUNTΒ The reward is Success in Harvesting a deer?

Β 

Might sound unfamiliarΒ to many But I quit Deer Hunting when the people I Hunted with in a Freehold Gun Club had a very differentΒ Idea from me on Hunting It became Killing numbers and competitionΒ between Clubs. Β 

Maybe because my Son never took to Hunting after his first 2 Years at 10 & 11 YO. I lost interest as to me Hunting and fishing is a SharingΒ Sport. Β Ending with get out enjoy your selfs time is passing memories are Comming.Β 

You can pretty much still hunt like that. Β Go out in your flannel and hunt with the weapon you want. Β It doesn't matter what the other guys are doing. Β 

My Father Oxford NJΒ Buck. he huntedΒ a few more years after that but had to call itΒ quits. Β have some photos from the 40s I think we should start a new Discussion on Classic Hunting fishing photos have to be from before the 80s .

Β 

Did he work in Corrections by chance ?

Capture+_2017-08-12-05-30-40.png

Capture+_2017-08-12-05-20-59.png

I'm sure when they first came out with the checkered wool jackets the old timers were shaking their heads. Β  :rofl:Β 

Β 

Change is the only constant. Β  Every generation has said, "but that's not how my father did it". Β 

Nice pics! Β This thread brought back memories of my first years hunting with my father. Β Had to wait until I was 14. Β  I out grew my plaid, but was handed down my fathers that I keep with the rest of my hunting clothes. Β Rabbit hunting farms with my father was how I started hunting. Β Hard to find a place to do that today, but I did get to go a couple times with my son. Β  I'm glad 00 buck has seen it's days, and the mossberg bolt action got replaced by a rem 1100, then slug barrel, then rifled slug barrel, then scope, then I opted to use an even more accurate muzzleloader over a slug gun. Β I got to hunt deer for 3 days during deer season back then. Β Played hooky from school to go opening day, and Saturday,Β and the following Wed for doe day. Β  My father plopped me in a spot close to were he had been sitting for years. Β I got my first spike there, but started to wander off my second year, with the cracker jack compass my father gave me in my pocket. Β One day I got lost in the morning, and didn't find my way out of the watershed until sunset. Β Tossed that mineral seeking compass in the garbage.

Times have changed, and a lot of the stuff today is an improvement over what we had. Β My toes froze in those felt lined green rubber boots. Β Just pick and choose through the sea of marketing to fill your desires. Β I still like to keep my hunting simple, finding where the deer are each year, hunting off the ground, not carrying more than I need to gut and get a deer out, but I'll follow improvements in weapon accuracy and clothing. Β I dragged out over a hundred deer with a rope, and still do, but I'll go back to the truck for the new deer cart wherever I can use it.

Β Keep the old memories while making new ones.

Nice pics! Β This thread brought back memories of my first years hunting with my father. Β Had to wait until I was 14. Β  I out grew my plaid, but was handed down my fathers that I keep with the rest of my hunting clothes. Β Rabbit hunting farms with my father was how I started hunting. Β Hard to find a place to do that today, but I did get to go a couple times with my son. Β  I'm glad 00 buck has seen it's days, and the mossberg bolt action got replaced by a rem 1100, then slug barrel, then rifled slug barrel, then scope, then I opted to use an even more accurate muzzleloader over a slug gun. Β I got to hunt deer for 3 days during deer season back then. Β Played hooky from school to go opening day, and Saturday,Β and the following Wed for doe day. Β  My father plopped me in a spot close to were he had been sitting for years. Β I got my first spike there, but started to wander off my second year, with the cracker jack compass my father gave me in my pocket. Β One day I got lost in the morning, and didn't find my way out of the watershed until sunset. Β Tossed that mineral seeking compass in the garbage.

Times have changed, and a lot of the stuff today is an improvement over what we had. Β My toes froze in those felt lined green rubber boots. Β Just pick and choose through the sea of marketing to fill your desires. Β I still like to keep my hunting simple, finding where the deer are each year, hunting off the ground, not carrying more than I need to gut and get a deer out, but I'll follow improvements in weapon accuracy and clothing. Β I dragged out over a hundred deer with a rope, and still do, but I'll go back to the truck for the new deer cart wherever I can use it.

Β Keep the old memories while making new ones.

Β 

At 62 years old? And Sussex County we must have hunted many of the same spots. Β From Layton to the Gap. Β Nice to see someone with similar memories. Β  The photo you should know we spent many opening deer seasons staying in the house acrossΒ from the Post Office The Lady worked as a waitress at the Inn that rented the room. Β The inn back then had a Bar SchuffelΒ board and 6 tables to dine on. Will have to post a story on The Valley in the 50-60s Β Talk about change Now I Trout Fish some hidden Holes mostly Fall. Last year was a Slaughter with low waters and that'sΒ when I first used The Trout Magnets on my 5 wt fly rod. Keep in Touch Bill

238554659_9bcf27a8d1_o-700x496.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

All the modern tech is great and I use some of it. Β Some of the best times of my life were spent in the woods and on the water.Β 

Β 

What I loathe now are people who don't think hunting is needed and won't allow hunting on property that used to be open to hunters because of the influence of the AR crazies/environmentalists. Β These people equate firearm hunting with gun violence and believe it's inhumane to hunt with archery while deer get slammed at 50mph by their SUV's. Β They unfortunately have a larger influence than we do in NJ and other places. Β 

Β 

So I like how hunting has evolved but cringe at the loss of common sense by the non-hunting community and the drop in people actually hunting. Β