IGNORED

what does everyone do for reading trail cam cards?

buckhound

I’ve tried everything but keep coming back to swapping out cards and reading them back at home. Who really wants to stand next to your trail cams for ten or fifteen minutes while playing around with photos? Think of all that scent and time in the woods. Have a reader for your phone if you pull a card on the way to your stand, but otherwise swap them out and check them later. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried everything but keep coming back to swapping out cards and reading them back at home. Who really wants to stand next to your trail cams for ten or fifteen minutes while playing around with photos? Think of all that scent and time in the woods. Have a reader for your phone if you pull a card on the way to your stand, but otherwise swap them out and check them later. Just my two cents.

I hit all my spots mid day.. swap cards and check the chips in the truck on my phone to decide where I'm gonna hunt that day.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Depends. I have a spot that I know the deer travel year after year. For that spot, I swap SD cards. When I am scouting a new area I bring an old laptop from my college days. I check the camera right then and there and move cameras as needed. No sense in keeping a camera in the same spot that may take another 2-4 weeks before I can get back in the woods to move it had I swapped cards and checked at home.

I swap out as well and check them home. It’s easier to record/keep data if that’s what you do. 

Whats all this re-formatting business you guys are talking about? 

I just continually swap cards in/out of cams, view on my laptop, then erase after I’m done. What am I missing?

Depends. I have a spot that I know the deer travel year after year. For that spot, I swap SD cards. When I am scouting a new area I bring an old laptop from my college days. I check the camera right then and there and move cameras as needed. No sense in keeping a camera in the same spot that may take another 2-4 weeks before I can get back in the woods to move it had I swapped cards and checked at home.

Good point on using cams to search new spots. I’m mostly on private lands I have hunted for nearly 30 years.

48 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Good point on using cams to search new spots. I’m mostly on private lands I have hunted for nearly 30 years.

I spent probably 100 hours last year scouting two areas on foot. Cameras just helped with what was around. Problem I had this year was I could hear them all the time but could never see them. Made moves with cameras and came up with nothing almost all season long. But I have the general area they are coming from and going to. Going to have to put that time in again and see what I missed and hopefully get on them this upcoming season.

I spent probably 100 hours last year scouting two areas on foot. Cameras just helped with what was around. Problem I had this year was I could hear them all the time but could never see them. Made moves with cameras and came up with nothing almost all season long. But I have the general area they are coming from and going to. Going to have to put that time in again and see what I missed and hopefully get on them this upcoming season.

Snow is your friend! I am sitting on two new cams I won’t deploy until we’ve had some snow on the ground for a few days. I’m looking this year for new travel corridors and bedding sites since we have been doing a lot of habitat work and the deer movement has changed some due to that work. But I want a good couple of days for deer to move around naturally and leave me tracks to follow.

I have an iPad mini with an Otterbox Defender on it.  I call it my "Combat iPad".  Small enough to throw in a bag, and big enough to view pics while passing the time in the blind.

However, it takes FOREVER for a full card to load.  It has to read the whole card before uploading the pics.  There are probably better reader apps out there, I am just using the default Photos app to import from the card.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Bone view for my phone and Samsung pad , to view in truck or stand 

lap top if taking home a card as it scrolls so much faster .

used to use a digital camera but found I was missing too many deer in the background while scrolling . And those were usually the glimpses of a big one I wouldn’t have seen up close

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

13 hours ago, Pathman said:

Whats all this re-formatting business you guys are talking about? 

Formatting is erasing the images in the device you are using to capture them. It helps to avoid any conflicts you might have by using a card that was used in another camera.

14 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Who really wants to stand next to your trail cams for ten or fifteen minutes while playing around with photos?

I couldn't imagine standing around going though a thousand pictures. Although it might seem like a hassle the laptop loads almost as fast as putting the card in my pocket time....almost.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have found this fly box to be an invaluable tool when I swap out cards in the woods. I don’t run tons of cameras, but if I did, I can fit three SD cards in each compartment. They can’t slide out into other compartments because of the foam.
IMG_6579.jpg

IMG_6580.jpg