IGNORED

Hunting the Wind

Buck154

I won’t get to much into the scent thing because it really is simple you can NEVER be clean of your scent. It just falls off you no matter where you are and what you do. This is how dogs track humans. That’s why the good old rubber boot trick is a bunch of BS also. If you don’t believe me do a little research and save your money because yes all the scent killer products are gimmicks.   The wind is not 100% either but I think it’s the best method.  JMO but hunt how you want  

Gee talk about pissing in everyones wheaties LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I think many guys over think the wind. Sure there are some places you can play the wind.

But hunting bigger tracts of woods the deer also play those winds changing their travel route to different bedding areas .

What may be a perfect wind for where he bedded today, might not be any good when he beds on a different bench tomorrow.

.The more scent free you are , the more you can get away with .

I believe in being clean. The rest of all the scent killers and gimmicks are just that, gimmicks

You are right Dan. Scent free as possible is a must, but I still won't hunt if if is blowing the way I think he may come from. Some places there may be only one or 2 directions deer can come from but if hunting any size wood lot then they can always circle down wind like you said.

A lot of you guys must be hunting flat land. 

Guys that hunt deer in the hills are constantly battling swirling winds. 

The terrain on my farm in Illinois goes from ravines to ridgetops. If you waited for the perfect wind, you would never hunt.  Especially on a guided trip or a hunt where you have only a few days to hunt. 

One thing I have found to help big time along with scent control is the scent crusher bag which contains an ozone generator. I bought it specifically because the hills I hunt were so difficult with constant changing and swirling winds. 

I was skeptical at first, but I can say I get winded less. 

My new house Im doing a closet for my hunting clothes with the ozone generator in it. 

Its also alot different hunting a deer on a corn pile. Deer are very cautious approaching a bait pile while a deer on a natural movement pattern is a little more relaxed

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

4 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

A lot of you guys must be hunting flat land. 

Guys that hunt deer in the hills are constantly battling swirling winds. 

The terrain on my farm in Illinois goes from ravines to ridgetops. If you waited for the perfect wind, you would never hunt.  Especially on a guided trip or a hunt where you have only a few days to hunt. 

One thing I have found to help big time along with scent control is the scent crusher bag which contains an ozone generator. I bought it specifically because the hills I hunt were so difficult with constant changing and swirling winds. 

I was skeptical at first, but I can say I get winded less. 

My new house Im doing a closet for my hunting clothes with the ozone generator in it   

I used that version design for car - on my mother's mouse-pissed up jeep and it got rid of the horrible odor.   I did put it in my jeep a few times as well with my hunting clothes in it and ran the cycle.  hell it can't hurt.  3 out of 4 hunts so far I had deer all around me and did not get winded, the other hunt I saw no deer. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

7 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

I won’t get to much into the scent thing because it really is simple you can NEVER be clean of your scent. It just falls off you no matter where you are and what you do. This is how dogs track humans. That’s why the good old rubber boot trick is a bunch of BS also. If you don’t believe me do a little research and save your money because yes all the scent killer products are gimmicks.   The wind is not 100% either but I think it’s the best method.  JMO but hunt how you want  

You can never eliminate human scent 100%. I do believe deer have a safety zone with scent.

I think deer have a safety zone for scent, more for smarter and older deer. A deer smell something and they sense it is 200 yards away they won't be on high alert. but if they smell something that they sense is only 50 yards then the will be on edge. Cutting back on any scent on you makes your scent more faint which in turn makes them think you are a lot further away, so they will not be on edge. That's just what I think.

Make them think you are further than you are and success goes up!!!!!

I hunt hilly areas and the wind swirls every sit. Yes there is always a dominant wind but it still swirls.

Can you explain where you hunt and the wind doesn't swirl, besides hunting crops or really flat areas.

I know I have an area that I hung a stand because if the wind is going from the south I hang it on the east facing tree because the wind kind of circles to the east in this area.

Just now, MZ7Extreme said:

I hunt hilly areas and the wind swirls every sit. Yes there is always a dominant wind but it still swirls.

Can you explain where you hunt and the wind doesn't swirl, besides hunting crops or really flat areas.

I know I have an area that I hung a stand because if the wind is going from the south I hang it on the east facing tree because the wind kind of circles to the east in this area.

flatland farms:up:

2 minutes ago, bucky said:

I have killed quite few nice bucks in my life but never one that came from down wind...go figure

I killed one years ago that winded me and started blowing but it was in the rut and I was able to grunt him back in close enough for a shot and killed him. Rare for sure to have that happen.