IGNORED

Hunting the Wind

Buck154

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

With all the scent eliminating clothing, sprays and gadgets out there. Would you hunt the wrong wind if had the chance to hunt your target buck.

When i was younger i would but now i don't. I start work early so i get out early enough to hunt almost ecery day.  I have to wait for the right wind for me to go. I know you can't get them unless you go but hunting older bucks I think its a must to wait for good wind. I still keep my hunting stuff scent free as possible cause you never can tell where they will come from.

John,

totally agree with your thoughts. I only hunt the wind. This year I am going to try to get a little aggressive in one spot and hunt a quartering wind using milkweed to be sure my scent stream is just off expected travel.

When I was a kid I would go out in the woods after school with cologne on and blue jeans.  Hunt an old blind built by someone else and didn’t know anything about anything. Had the best time and missed some giant bucks.  It was a lot easier that’s for sure. But yea now I hunt the wind relig:shakehead:iously 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

Which app are you using? I have been using huntstand

John, Huntstand is what I use but it is crazy how the wind direction in a certain spot changes. Almost hourly, the last few sits. When I think I can hunt the stand with a good west wind predicted, the app shows the wind as due east as an example as soon as I get on stand several hours later. Frustrating to say the least.

I think many guys over think the wind. Sure there are some places you can play the wind.

But hunting bigger tracts of woods the deer also play those winds changing their travel route to different bedding areas .

What may be a perfect wind for where he bedded today, might not be any good when he beds on a different bench tomorrow.

.The more scent free you are , the more you can get away with .

I believe in being clean. The rest of all the scent killers and gimmicks are just that, gimmicks

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

John, Huntstand is what I use but it is crazy how the wind direction in a certain spot changes. Almost hourly, the last few sits. When I think I can hunt the stand with a good west wind predicted, the app shows the wind as due east as an example as soon as I get on stand several hours later. Frustrating to say the least.

Drives you nuts doesn’t it LOL. Some Apps like Windfinder get readings at nearby small airports which are open areas so you get a true reading... until you get into the woods and the geo contours, thermals and vortex creating barriers stick it up your butt LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

40 minutes ago, megavites said:

John,

totally agree with your thoughts. I only hunt the wind. This year I am going to try to get a little aggressive in one spot and hunt a quartering wind using milkweed to be sure my scent stream is just off expected travel.

Milkweed are the best wind indicator. Love using them as I know a couple other guys that do

7 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Yeah I have seen it off some times. That's why I like to check my local weather on my phone also 

Just now, Nomad said:

I do nothing to hide my scent and most of the time I just throw coveralls right over my work stuff that smells like gas, oil, and sweat.  So, yes, I definitely pick all my stands based on the wind.

yeah but you hunt with a longbow, you don't have to get close...  Cheater. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Drives you nuts doesn’t it LOL. Some Apps like Windfinder get readings at nearby small airports which are open areas so you get a true reading... until you get into the woods and the geo contours, thermals and vortex creating barriers stick it up your butt LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely see a lot of changes in the upper part of the state where you have a lot more elevation changes with the mountains up there. The wind does a lot of crazy things.  

I won’t get to much into the scent thing because it really is simple you can NEVER be clean of your scent. It just falls off you no matter where you are and what you do. This is how dogs track humans. That’s why the good old rubber boot trick is a bunch of BS also. If you don’t believe me do a little research and save your money because yes all the scent killer products are gimmicks.   The wind is not 100% either but I think it’s the best method.  JMO but hunt how you want  

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈