IGNORED

NJ craw fish..

I have eaten them.   Tasted good from what I remember.  Obviously you need a bunch.  I would go out at night with a flashlight and catch them in small creeks.  Their eyes reflect like deer.   Biggest I have seen recently was nearing 6 inches.  Have a picture somewhere..........

Edited by Bigsquirel
content

As kids we would go to the local creek and have fun catching them....but that was in urban areas so I would never eat them there..I am sure you could still find them in clean waters....we use to call them fresh water lobsters....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

like others mentioned. it would take a lot to make a meal, although I have seen some real giants in the south branch. I used to catch them with a stick and coffee can. bump its head and they would swim backwards into the can. I still have my biggest smallmouth above my tv that I caught on a crayfish when I was little. ill do the same for my daughter when she gets a little older. nowadays I try to tie different versions on the vise. theres so many  and believe it or not, some actually work better then others lol.

Used to go once every June  and get a mess of them in the waywayanda  creek with my friends.. We used to just drop a small piece of crawler in front of them and they move up and grab it and gently lift them up with our rod into a coffee can  and then into a big cooler. We weren't exactly craw fisherman but we got enough to snack on once a year.