IGNORED

Register an ATV in NJ - update 3/20

I have a used ATV I want to register in NJ.  The NJ MDV states you need a notarized bill of sale and a copy of the old registration. The previous owner never registered it. Has anyone had luck register with just the notarized bill of sale?

Thanks

Update -  the dmv would not register it with only a notarized bill of sale. I went online and registered it in Maine. NJ talked themselves right out of the sales tax and registration $. 

Edited by Outandabout90
update

I did mine years ago. I believe you will need the Bill of Sale and fill out the Registration application and fill in "initial". In order to get the registration, you must have proof of insurance.  My insurance is through Progressive at 96 bucks per year for two machines.

Edited by electric10162

i would never register an ATV in NJ.    You can't ride them anywhere other than private property, so what is the point other than to pay them sales tax?  I always buy mine out of state and never register.  All you should need is the original title/certificate of ownership, bill of sale...  Hold onto that.   Again - I would not register a vehicle NJ won't let you drive. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

i would never register an ATV in NJ.    You can't ride them anywhere other than private property, so what is the point other than to pay them sales tax?  I always buy mine out of state and never register.  All you should need is the original title/certificate of ownership, bill of sale...  Hold onto that.   Again - I would not register a vehicle NJ won't let you drive. 

The main reason I want to register it is for NY. They require registration even on private property.  I'd also like to try to get it approved for bear retrieval on WMAs.  I dont have a title or MSO its a 2006, just the bill of sale. 

9 minutes ago, Outandabout90 said:

The main reason I want to register it is for NY. They require registration even on private property.  I'd also like to try to get it approved for bear retrieval on WMAs.  I dont have a title or MSO its a 2006, just the bill of sale. 

Just register it in NY!  Never NJ

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

20 minutes ago, Outandabout90 said:

I’ve been riding ATVs in NY on two farms for over a decade. Never had an issue. None of those machines are registered in any state. A CO pulled over one of the landowners to make sure he wasn’t poaching and he never said anything about the unregistered side by side in that case. 

I got a warning in ny on my property 

we were not even driving it.   Trooper saw me on the road and followed me in driveway and checked Everything.    Hunting lic. Checked guns to see if loaded.   Pain in the ass they can be when ur from out of state.   I think they assume u made some small error n got the funds to pay tickets 

And when I say follows me in. I was just getting to the house.  Pulling the trailer with the quad on it.  

he didn’t see the quad driven or started or even removed from trailor.   He asked my 84. Well 75 at the time “ so what do you do with the the quad “.  My dad replied.  Use it around the house to move firewood mostly    Then he asked me for quad req and I said I didn’t have one cuz it don’t need one in nj      That lead to an hr info session on how I should now all the laws      I said I don’t have a plate or reg on tractor and we use it same way around the property.   🤦‍♂️ 

45 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Back when I first registered, we ATV'd a lot in PA which required the vehicle to be registered. Then it was required were we hunted in NB Canada and Maine, so it worked out good for me. 

Edited by electric10162

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’ve been riding ATVs in NY on two farms for over a decade. Never had an issue. None of those machines are registered in any state. A CO pulled over one of the landowners to make sure he wasn’t poaching and he never said anything about the unregistered side by side in that case. 

I to used one in NY on private property for years and never had it registered

16403060_10154280902935869_7369790169137498277_o.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 hours ago, Outandabout90 said:

I have a used ATV I want to register in NJ.  The NJ MDV states you need a notarized bill of sale and a copy of the old registration. The previous owner never registered it. Has anyone had luck register with just the notarized bill of sale?

Thanks

Hope you got the answer you were looking for seems Electric10102 gave the best one on the topic. :up: Safe riding. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif