IGNORED

What's Up With All The Vehicle Recalls

BHC

I don’t think recalls are surprising to just the amount of stuff that goes wrong these days that in my opinion isn’t really a simple fix in my experience.  If I lost a wheel bearing etc I wouldn’t be upset.  In our 19 Acadia with 58k miles on it currently. I’ve had a radiator blow (warranty), and out of warranty I have the shift to park, thermostat/sensor, I have a few buttons that do not light up at times  and all of those are insane cost to fix due to the time it takes to access the fix or there is no real fix.  Quality control is gone these days. And it’s a shame you’re spending 50,60,80k on vehicles and the warranty is gone in under 3 years for most due to the mileage so you’re paying for repairs before it’s even paid off.  Not one vehicle is perfect but there are clear winners when it comes to the Japanese manufacturers.  They make money when they sell cars and others make money on repairs. 

1 hour ago, BothBarrels said:

Sure seems to me that if one of the Japanese companies made a true full-size pickup to compete with Ford/GM/Dodge .... they'd sell a gazillion of them.

They have a 25% tariff on all Japanese trucks which is why you won’t ever see that. It puts them out of the price range of many potential buyers. 

With 38y ears + and 29 as millwright wielder at GM Linden Assembly plant. And seeing many different makes and models being produced.  I have seen just about it all, From poor quality to improvements forced upon GM by foreign competition. Marketing mistakes to make profits only to become Big losers.  just a few big losers Unibody - 4-6-8 Engines - Converted big blocks to Diesels. Seen bad parts caught on the line with shutdowns waiting for the good parts to be sent to dealers to be fixed. Recalls were few for many years. Until government requirements to bells and whistles and automakers began adding BS items they said the public required.  or asked for,  

The option list shrunk and the Package list grew.  Parts manufacturing went from in-house to vendors with fewer controls and complete Engines - Trans - Electrical became the norm  rather than  assembled within the assembly plants pc by pc screw by screw with countless inspections along the way, 

Could go on and on But the short of it is Autos are now world-class with multiple nations involved accountability is difficult,  take  a Chevy Equinox Built and assembled in Canada with engines from China and parts for a dozen vendors from around the world manufactured in modern facilities to a Mom & Pop Shak with possible all the kids involved, 

Think about it the only manufacturer solely owned operated and run by the government is Toyota followed by KIA and they still have problems. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

They have a 25% tariff on all Japanese trucks which is why you won’t ever see that. It puts them out of the price range of many potential buyers. 

Japan has no interest in the Biger Trucks' profit margins for one reason and if They were interested they would simply Build or Retool & turn an 11 existing US Plant to build them, and since many are in partnerships with US brands why compete 

Fact GM had an interest in almost every foreign manufacturer some years ago but one TOYOTA that was Owned and controlled by the Japanese government 

Edited by 1957Buck

38 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Build them here in America. Where they already build their trucks. No?

It just seems to me that going by quality reputation alone ... people/businesses would be eager to buy a true full-size truck built by Honda, etc.

Maybe that since the rest of the world buys so much fewer full-size trucks, they feel that the American market alone doesn't justify the development of an entirely new product? 

Half the problem is consumers demand  all these extra items that don’t add longevity to the vehicle.  2006 with a manual transmission is still running strong. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

2 hours ago, BothBarrels said:

It just seems to me that going by quality reputation alone ... people/businesses would be eager to buy a true full-size truck built by Honda, etc.

Maybe that since the rest of the world buys so much fewer full-size trucks, they feel that the American market alone doesn't justify the development of an entirely new product? 

Partly true many do not know Toyota owns Lexus builds them here and is investing over a Billion Dollars in the US on a Battery Plant  :headscratch:  And as I mentioned Toyota does its own thing even building their own engines.  They could care less about the so-called big trucks  that have become overpriced. 

IMG_20240303_0010.jpg

19 hours ago, BothBarrels said:

It’s the manufacturer, not where they are made.  Congress passed that law long ago and I no longer recall the details well. But there was some talk about Dodge being in trouble as it is no longer US owned. 

47 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

It’s the manufacturer, not where they are made.  Congress passed that law long ago and I no longer recall the details well. But there was some talk about Dodge being in trouble as it is no longer US owned. 

:doh2: Come on man want to make some corrections,   

Dodge Truck became a stand-alone division of the Chrysler Group 2009   which is a US Manufacturer.  And manufactured in the US and Mexico   

MERGING IS NOT TAKING OVER OWNERSHIP 

images.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

6 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

:doh2: Come on man want to make some corrections,   

Dodge Truck became a stand-alone division of the Chrysler Group 2009   which is a US Manufacturer.  And manufactured in the US and Mexico 

images.jpg

Wrong. Chrysler is a division of FCA which is wholly owned by Stellantis, a Dutch company.

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I could be wrong, but I really don't think so. There is no US tariff, etc on trucks built in North America ... by anyone. Toyota Tundra, Nisson Titon, etc

Trucks imported from Canada and Mexico are required to be built with some high percentage of North American-produced components, along with some minimum hourly wage.

(Off topic, but I watched a recent interview with Ford's CEO. He seemed very angry with the UAW's tactics during the recent labor dispute, especially with this new action at the Kentucky Truck Plant. He felt that bridges were burned, and stated that all options were on the table concerning the locations of future production. We could be in for some crazy strikes when the new contracts expire.) 

4 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

Wrong. Chrysler is a division of FCA which is wholly owned by Stellantis, a Dutch company.

I Stand corrected on a few points. :drinking: My obliges since you are on my block List :headscratch::confused:

6 minutes ago, BothBarrels said:

(Off topic, but I watched a recent interview with Ford's CEO. He seemed very angry with the UAW's tactics during the recent labor dispute, especially with this new action at the Kentucky Truck Plant. He felt that bridges were burned, and stated that all options were on the table concerning the locations of future production. We could be in for some crazy strikes when the new contracts expire.) 

:censored: Ford  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:   :censored:  :kissbutt:  Cry me a river, Mr. Ford CEO.  this after they rapped the UAW membership just before and during Covid with cuts to Wages - Benefits -  Security -Senorty  Rights & add to that list  GM, F Over the union ranks the sane. 

Yes, GM - Uaw Local 595 Linden NJ Member 38 years & Union Apointee  & retired.  

Ford has always been good on threats and always gave that bit more than GM.  

On 3/3/2024 at 9:00 AM, electric10162 said:

A lot more electronics, emissions control, and outsourced equipment put together to make one vehicle or assembly. I think back to the days of steel dashboards, incandescent lamps, and zero electronics. Virtually bulletproof.

Those old cars are nothing but giant tuna cans.  Ever watch crash test footage of cars from the 70s and 80s? 35mph and everybody is dead or maimed.  I'll take the occasional recall on my modern spaceship over a deadly crash in a classic any day.