IGNORED

Crow hunting with a rifle (in NY)?!

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Ravens are off-limits. Crow hunting is really dictated by the feds (they are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, even though you don't need a HIP or waterfowl stamp to hunt them). And though states can determine what days of the week you can hunt, the feds tell the states how many days a season can be.  I've never seen a season for ravens listed in our hunting digest (not in NY digest either) - and ravens are also protected by the MBTA - so if you shoot one, I assume that's a federal offense (literally). Here's the list of migratory birds protected by the MBTA: https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2023-15551/p-amd-2

I have never seen a raven down here in south Jersey.  But a few times when I've been up in NY, I saw what looked like crows from a distance, but they made a different calling sound. Listen carefully and you can tell the difference between the two just by their calls. But also, crows are constantly flapping their wings in flight when ravens sometimes soar.

Good article here: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

There’s quite a few Ravens up here in North Jersey Warren County. Seems like more every year.

1 hour ago, roy381 said:

If a 22 bullet can travel approximately 1 mile. I'm not sure that is a good regulation shooting upwards into trees for obvious safety reasons.  But that's just my opinion

Maybe there's more to the regs?

Nearly every state allows squirrel and crow (and coon and possum) hunting with .22 long rifle and shooting up into trees. We get to used to living in the # 1 most densely populated state and forget how few homes and businesses there are in most of the country when you get outside of the cities.  

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

I only shoot them on the wing with 22s, more sporting. Good practice for shooting fast running deer.

Great idea. Should help at deer drives. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

16 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Do you actually eat them? 

I have at times. Not great, but not inedible either. It's a dark meat.

I got recipes from crowbusters.com: 

http://crowbusters.com/recipes.html

There is no wanton waste law for crow, so you don't have to do anything with them, but I don't feel right shooting things just to shoot them.  If I don't eat them, they go in the freezer for crab bait. I catch a lot of crab with crow on a handline.

4 hours ago, Gman said:

since when do you need a semi auto rifle permit in NY? I never read that before....

June 5, 2022. Only for new purchases for NYS residents. Anything legally purchased before that is grandfathered. It is not required for hunting in the state as this is a temporary possession. It is only for taking ownership of a new semi auto rifle for NY residents.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."