IGNORED

Elys $60 upcharge?!

Bonefreak

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

IMO for what’s involved to cut a deer correctly the basic fees are pretty high .

but many guys seem to balk more at the extras , and upcharges to get that stuff made .

doing much of that on my own also I think the extra fees if wanting specialty stuff done are cheap .

Lots of guys look at the extra fee , thinking it’s a lot because it’s meat they already paid to have cut .

but it’s not only their meat , it’s 20-30 percent fat , seasonings , time to grind , mix , stuff , and smoke .

I Honestly think it costs me more to make , sticks , kielbasa, sausage etc at home .

recently I went to shop rite for pork fat . They wanted 2.49 a pound .

pork butt was 1.69 a pound .

but because many places only cut box meat they have very little trimmings , and want ridiculous money for it .

luckily I can still get it at another spot for WAY less , but they need 3 days notice to get me what I want .

Next time just buy a pork butt/shoulder and grind it yourself. This is the best meat you can get for sausage/kielbasy

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Next time just buy a pork butt/shoulder and grind it yourself. This is the best meat you can get for sausage/kielbasy

We do that all the time .

when we make specialty sausage , we only grind pork butts to make it .

.point I was making in other post was they wanted more for plain fat , than for good cut of grinding meat 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I agree doing yourself is key but also the right equipment

I've tried many butchers over the 43 years of hunting, two of the best I used was Jenekes but the old man retired, now use Hunterdon Deer Butcher, Jimmy's work is fantastic and super clean shop

2 hours ago, Roon said:

$100 is base cut most places now a days.

Even if I didn't care about not seeing my deer through the process, I'd have no choice but to cut my own 

Yep. Usually cut my own but I wanted some of Elys honey bologna, maple bacon, snack stix, n dogs. I have to learn how to make this stuff on my own!!  Lol

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

You know exactly how it was handled , and IMO get a better quality at the end .

butchers IMO can’t be as picky about cleaning silver skin , bloody meat etc because guys expect a box filled with meat for price they are paying .

done yourself you know if your light because something wasn’t usable etc .

I also like knowing the meat I’m putting in the freezer is 100% mine , not mixed in with a guys who showed the deer off for three days in 60 degree temps .

Yep. Usually do my own for basic cuts, burger, etc but I wanted some of their specialty items. I plan on learning how to do that stuff n save lots of money!  Lol

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

$215 for largely specialty work seems very normal to me. The $60 is likely the up charge for the handling, pork, seasonings, stuffing, and any smoking or other curing they needed to do depending on what was ordered. 

I think it used to be $155-165 a few yrs ago. I never paid over $200 for specialty items 

I dropped my deer off there a couple weeks ago and it cost me $300. Ouch

I Remember paying around $200 a short time ago. 20240218_114121.thumb.jpg.0baf4128f630db73d2d0ee8ba7dd5222.jpg

That was with caping out extra $45. 

Used to be $25

I went through the same thing. 

Got a freezer full of hot dogs, snack sticks and steaks and loins

www.liftxrentals.com

55 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

I think it used to be $155-165 a few yrs ago. I never paid over $200 for specialty items 

I know I’ve done so at Hunterdon Deer Butchers myself. When you think local deer butchering prices are high, try finding a NY butcher under $200 for a regular cut. Specialty is above that cost, of course.  

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

Average bas8c cut around me is 90.  I do 9ne a year at elys because my kid's like the sticks and honey bologna.  It's worth it to me

A regular cut at Ely is $155 with no specialty stuff, cape out etc. 

I think he has a big deer fee too 😏 

www.liftxrentals.com