IGNORED

Prime rib for dinner

nmc02

I enjoy prime rib roast every once in a while, but prefer it steaked & grilled over charcoal. 

Anyway, I used my Meater 2 plus Bluetooth probe..... All I can say is it is AWESOME. Works well and takes all guess work out of cooking. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 

I prefer it on the edge of rare, family wanted it cooked closer to medium. Very tasty.

20240204_140511.jpg

20240204_183940.jpg

My favorite way todo prime rib is in the oven at low temp 185 till it hits 112 then I turn the heat up to 500 till it hits an internal temp of 122 and then pull it a let it rest 30 minutes.  I don’t like the pellet grill for a rib roast because if you cook it slow the smoke over powers the beefy flavor that I’m looking for.

I do them on my smoker all the time.  It's the only way to make them.  Did one for xmas and did another one the other day.  Crust with Salt and Pepper (sometimes I add garlic and coffee) and smoke at 250 with some hardwood charcoal and a few chunks of Mesquite until you hit an internal temp of 110.  Let rest for 20 minutes, then sear off on a screaming hot grill to get the perfect crust.  Rest again and enjoy.

Edited by not on the rug

44 minutes ago, smittty said:

My favorite way todo prime rib is in the oven at low temp 185 till it hits 112 then I turn the heat up to 500 till it hits an internal temp of 122 and then pull it a let it rest 30 minutes.  I don’t like the pellet grill for a rib roast because if you cook it slow the smoke over powers the beefy flavor that I’m looking for.

Agree. I made it in the smoker once and everyone hated it. 

34 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I think it is the best way to cook it......low and slow baby!

I only make it in the smoker at this point.  Everyone raves about it, even folks who ordinarily don't like smoked foods.  The proper amount of smoke doesn't cover up meat flavor, it enhances it in every possible way.

7 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I only make it in the smoker at this point.  Everyone raves about it, even folks who ordinarily don't like smoked foods.  The proper amount of smoke doesn't cover up meat flavor, it enhances it in every possible way.

I guess that's the issue, amount of smoke. When I smoke jerky, I only use about 45 minutes of smoke. It's small and I don't want to overpower it. 

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

If you’re doing yours at 250 ina smoker that’s way to much smoked for me. I’ve done a dozen on the smoker best temp I found was 375. But much rather under 200 in an oven. I dry age all my rib roast because I like to get a real beefy flavor and don’t want to cover it up wi any smoke. Now a nice dry aged ribeye I will every once in a while slide the plate away from over top of the fire pot and sear it for about two miles a side and eat black and blue rather then medium rare but again I rather do it in a cast iron pan with brown butter and sage we all have different taste I guess