IGNORED

Best advice for new public land hunter?

Yornei Bor

What’s the most important thing to get right?

Stand location regarding bedding/feeding areas? Proximity to truck for the drag ? Playing the wind? Finding areas that aren’t hunted often?

Or do I just need to put in the time and wait for an opportunity? 

Honestly yes to all of it.

I hunt travel routes between bedding and food. I don't use bait or cameras because regarding bait I don't like the hassle of carrying it in and in the Monmouth County Parks I am not allowed to use a camera according to park rules. On other properties I have used camera's primarily to get an inventory before the season and pull them after it starts. I have hunted over bait. IMO they are far more spooky. Since I hunt almost exclusively the  parks and typically take 3-6 deer a year while usually passing up a dozen or more I don't feel handicapped. 

I have multiple stand sights that will allow me to cover each travel route based upon the wind for that day.  If my area doesn't produce like I expected I will do in season scouting and use my climber to narrow down new spots.  

I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

It is important to know the piece you are hunting, especially where other hunters are putting their stands. I have scouted an area and set up only to find another guy setting up 75 yards from me. Try to find private pieces by getting permission use your cameras, it will save you time. 

If I'm going in blind to a new public land piece I always check google earth or some other map, like huntstand.  I look to where the public land gets close to or boarders a development or a small group of homes,  seems more often than not that is where the highest concentration of deer will be. 

I've had some great success doing this in "big woods" like Newark Watershed. There's not much for them to eat in the mountain after the eggcorns are gone or covered.  The deer also know they are safe in and around the neighborhoods. 

Like others here have said, best thing is to scout, a lot! I hunt zone 2 and 3 and there are pockets of deer on the public land but I would estimate 80-90% of the public land is all bears and yotes and very few deer.  You need to find that 10-20% that holds deer.

I'll add don't overlook the tiny patches of public land, sometimes they are key.

Edited by Gman
more info

7 minutes ago, Yornei Bor said:

Zone 3 for now

I grew up hunting Z3. Lots of big woods, lower deer numbers, but some big mountain bucks if you believe NJ actually has “mountains”. Those lands will see lots of drives during gun seasons and will be fairly quiet during the long archery seasons.  Newark Watershed, Norvin Green SF and other lands are vast for this state and you should be able to archery hunt it without seeing other hunters in most places. Lots of bears as well if you want to target one for this next season in the fall.