IGNORED

Where to sight in my muzzleloader?

Farmingdales Finest

I tried to go to Colliers Mills after the Toys for Tots 3D shoot at Gardens State archers this morning so I could sight in my new Optima muzzleloader.  Every bench was full with 4 guys there saying they had been waiting for the people shooting for 1/2 an hour at that point. I had a nonshooter with me and it sounded like I would have had to wait on line for at least an hour or more before even starting to sight it in and felt that was too long for him to wait on me.

I live in Highlands where else can I sight in my rifle?  I know there and Clinton which is over and hour away too.  Is there anyplace closer?

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

22 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Hate to say it but you waited too long. You are a week away from the opener so any public placed will be busy. If an option try early during the week. 

It's not that I waited it's I haven't used a firearm since 1991. I have exclusively bowhunted since then but I won the muzzleloader at the Central Jersey Limb hanger  dinner last month. I had to take my firearm safety course because I wasn't in the system because I bought my original firearm license out of state and used the previous license for my next but wanted to use it in the Monmouth County parks and I have to present my hunters ed card every year. Then had to buy the scope, ammo, case, cleaning stuff etc. which brought me to last weekend before I could go. 

I am going to have to take a morning off from work it looks like and go one day this week to get it done.

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

10 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

It's not that I waited it's I haven't used a firearm since 1991. I have exclusively bowhunted since then but I won the muzzleloader at the Central Jersey Limb hanger  dinner last month. I had to take my firearm safety course because I wasn't in the system because I bought my original firearm license out of state and used the previous license for my next but wanted to use it in the Monmouth County parks and I have to present my hunters ed card every year. Then had to buy the scope, ammo, case cleaning stuff etc. which brought me to last weekend before I could go. 

I am going to have to take a morning off from work it looks like and go one day this week to get it done.

As an incentive, I killed my biggest buck on muzzy opeining day during a major northeastern 

PS I went to sight my muzzy yesterday, on private land, and after 4 shots I realized I mounted the scope turned 90 degrees to the leff, my vertices adjustment was on the left and left/right adjustment on top:shock: I’ll have to finish next weekend 

Edited by Lunatic

Some times it take a few trips to get everything right bring different types of sabots bullets as some guns are very finicky. I just got done playing with one of those finicky ones. I had many range days before I found something that the gun would shoot I wound up going with bullet to bore 

Edited by smittty

2 minutes ago, smittty said:

Some times it take a few trips to get everything right bring different types of sabots bullets as some guns are very finicky. I just got done play with one of those finicky ones. I had many rage days before I found something that the gun would shoot I wound up going with bullet to bore 

If what I have doesn't group I am just going to use my bow for 6 day and call it a year and regroup for next season.

19 minutes ago, smittty said:

There is fort dix. Pay once and you good for the year

What does it cost and how crowded does it get because that is even farther for me.

I just got home from checking my muzzy at Telco - had the 100 yard range to myself for 2 hours :) It takes a while to zero in a muzzleloader - in fact, I'm learning to hate it :) It doesn't surprise me there's a crowd on public ranges this time of year.

I thought I had mine dialed in, but I shot it last week and the weirdest thing - I shot two flyers that missed the paper completely. I think I screwed up my scope settings. So I had to go back today. Took something like 8 shots today (cleaning the barrel between each one to mimic the conditions I'll be hunting with) and it took me about 2 hours. :o At least I think I'm back on now. And I'll make sure never to touch my scope dials again :)